1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 / i5-2500k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by designedsilence, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. designedsilence

designedsilence Thread Starter

I was attempting to overclock my 2500k and evidently changed a setting that I can not figure out how to change back which slowed my pc down. CPU-ID said it was running at 4ghz but when I bench-marked a game I was getting 96 FPS in I only got 32. I tried resting to optimal defaults but that did not change anything. Anyone know what this could be?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, there is NO safe overclock. First rule; do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.

Next have you cleared cmos or as asus calls it RTC? If not, then do so. Restart and enter the bios; now load defaults.

3. Simba7

Simba7

What did you tweak? There are several things you could've done.

I've overclocked a few systems. The 2500k series are made for it, but you have to have the right cooling. Heck, my old E5200 (stock 2.5GHz) is running at 3.75GHz without issues for over a year in the HTPC.

4. designedsilence

Ive got a Scythe Ninja 3 cooler.. I will try and rest the cmos when I get home. Honestly I dont remember what all I tweaked specifically.. I figured resetting to defaults worst case would fix it.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thing to remember; modern asus boards will default each sata port to OFF so you must enable each one in the bios after you clear rtc.

6. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

And what's the point in that? I mean, why turn off all the SATA ports if you reset CMOS?? There's no point- the bods over at Asus are worse than Dell's!!

7. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

Just reset your BIOS- you'll spend less time reconfiguring than finding the setting that you changed.

8. designedsilence

What will I have to reconfigure once I do?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said above you will need to enable each sata port that you intend to use. If you installed in raid mode or ahci mode, you will need to make sure the correct mode is still selected. You may need to change the boot order in the bios and or the hard disk priority.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I have that same exact board [gen 3] and the same 2500k. It overclocks well and I usually run it at around 3.8gig or so. Very good combination of cpu and mb.

11. designedsilence

I haven't reset the cmos yet but I just re-calculated my windows score.. my gfx went from a 7.9/7.9 to 5.9/6.6.. my processor score is the same.. thoughts?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. Clear rtc.

13. designedsilence

Yeah that did not even fix it. I ended up reinstalling windows. That fixed it... not sure what happened but its running good at 4.5ghz. Thx for the help!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice