1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus Prime X399-A QCode 8

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dasavur, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dasavur

Dasavur Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I'm trying to build two Threadripper 1950X systems, both with an Asus Prime X399-A motherboard. I keep getting the QCode 8 on both motherboards and I can't figure out for the life of me what this thing means and how to resolve it. I've googled it and I can't find a working solution so far. The error is "System Agent initialization after microcode loading", which doesn't even make sense to me, but I am not super familiar with the intricacies of every detail of how a system works. They are both currently sitting out on an anti-static mat. I also am not getting any POST on the monitor. Here's what I have tried so far:

- Flash update the BIOS

- 1 stick of RAM (in the right slot according to the manual) and 4 sticks of RAM

- Removing and reseating the CPU (also making sure there are no bent pins)

- 2 different GPUs

- 2 different PSUs

There is also a light on the motherboard named "plug 8pin pwr1" that is lit up, but I'm not sure what that's for or what it means either.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you have the 8pin aux pw connector plugged in? Here is a pic of where it goes on the board. circled in red. Note many new boards have both a 4pin AND an 8pin aux pw connectors. You can generally use just the 8pin or the 8pin and the 4pin if your pw supply has two 4/8pin connectors.
    Note it is usually only very high end pw supplies that have two 4/8pin connectors.

Attached Files:

• mb.jpg
      mb.jpg
      File size:
      165 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How exactly did you do this

4. Dasavur

Dasavur Thread Starter

That was it. Thank you.

5. Dasavur

Dasavur Thread Starter

Asus allows updates through USB without even having the computer turned on.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless Asus REALLY made some changes, you cannot update a bios without the system ON. Asus has what it calls crash free bios which will restore a bios that will not POST however the system must be ON. Some asus boards also have bios flashback however again the board must be ON.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. You can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the upper left.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice