1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS PTGD-LA and PCI-e x16

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wdro, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wdro

wdro Thread Starter

Hi, my HP PC comes with the ASUS PTGD-LA motherboard: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?&cc=us&docname=c00361570
    It doesn't have any PCI-e slots but if you go to the link above and look at the picture carefully, it looks like there is a space on the motherboard where a pci-e x16 slot should be and they omitted it in the manufacturing. Is it possible to add a pci-e connector to my motherboard (similar to its cousin, PTGD1-LA: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00297771 )?

2. norton850

norton850

System manufacturers will often have MB makers modify their boards according to their (the system manufacturers) specifications. There is no way to add a PCIe slot to your MB. You would have to replace the MB.

3. wdro

wdro Thread Starter

Ah, why would they do that? They added PCI-e on to PTGD-LA and then called it PTGD1-LA.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Its called "cutting cost"
    These big name builders (Dell, HP, Gateway) Need to drop every every dollar and cent possible. Usually omitting things like PCIe slots, or IDE channels is how they do this.

5. wdro

wdro Thread Starter

But it looks like there is a space on the motherboard where a pci-e x16 slot should be. (See green circle): [​IMG]
    [​IMG]and this is the one with pci-e x16

Other than that, everything else looks the same.

6. norton850

norton850

Perhaps you could solder a PCIe slot onto the board. However, there is no way to know if it would work. Who knows what other changes were made to the board that you can't see. You could try it and let us know. :D

7. wdro

wdro Thread Starter

That's why I'm posting here to see what tools I need in order to do that :p

8. norton850

norton850

The tools would be a soldering iron, solder and a steady hand. Where you would get the PCIe slot other than off an old MB I have no idea.

9. wdro

wdro Thread Starter

You know how this is an HP computer? What happens if I just buy a new motherboard? Will I lose all the software that comes with HP?

10. norton850

norton850

No you won't lose it but at the least you will have to do a repair Windows install (although there are other methods) as your hard drive will have the drivers for the old MB. What CDs came with it?

11. rawlls

rawlls

If anyone's had succes adding a PCIe slot to the board feel free to comment

12. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I don't think that you can do it actually. Even if you manage to physically attach it to the mobo there should be other restrictions like BIOS or bus controllers...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/445841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice