1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS shutting down & seems hot, battery low

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Frazzleduser, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frazzleduser

Frazzleduser Thread Starter

I am new to IT forums and almost clueless with hardware problems and IT jargon. My ASUS has recently been shutting down without warning when inadvertently not plugged into mains power, then improved very slightly to at least give me a minute or two's warning with a message saying that there was just 1% battery power, although the icon on the task bar indicates that it is fully charged... I have watched it charging when on mains power. The battery orange light (that sometimes lights) is currently not on, and I don't know what that means. The battery default is on the balanced power plan. It may seem silly, but I am not sure if this indicates that the battery or the adapter requires replacement. But there is another possibility; could it be that my computer is overheating? I don't know what is normal for this or any computer. I downloaded HWMonitor but can't copy it here, so will have to type in manually below, not understanding the jargon included. It is changing up and down as it continues to monitor my laptop's functions.

Computer Temps THRM Value 54-56 deg C Min 54 deg C Max 76 deg C

Fans CPU Value 3200-3300 RPM Min 3200 RPM Max 5100 RPM

Intel Pentium Temps
    Core 0 Value 51-58 deg C Min 50 deg C Max 78 deg C
    Core 1 Value 50-56 deg C Min 50 deg C Max 77 deg C

NVIDIA temps TMPIN0 Value 60 deg C Min 60 deg C Max 75 deg C

Battery
    Voltages Current voltage Value 12.333-5 V Min 12.332 V Max 12.337 V

Capacities
    Designed capacity Value 48400 mWh Min 48400 mWh Max 48400 mWh
    Full charge capacity Value 1892 mWh Min 1892 mWh Max 1892 mWh
    Current capacity Value 1892 mWh Min 1892 mWh Max 1892 mWh

Levels
    Wear level Value 97% Min 97% Max 97%
    Charge level Value 100% Min 100% Max 100%

There is lots of other information, but I don't know if it is relevant. The processor, RAM, Hard drive, etc., information is below.

Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 344268 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., F5GL
    Antivirus: Norton 360 Premier, Updated and Enabled

I hope that someone can understand all of this information, and give me directions as to what needs to be done from here.

It is probably another problem, but just in case it is somehow connected, around the same time as the computer started shutting down, I also have the internet dropping off after slowing right down on an intermittent basis.

I have done a defrag, in case this helped, but doesn't seem to be connected.

Many thanks in advance to any kind, knowledgeable person/s who can direct me with this; I don't want to spend unnecessary funds purchasing hardware that is not necessary on a process of elimination basis.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That is the classic sign of a battery that no longer can hold a charge.

About how old is the battery?

3. Frazzleduser

Frazzleduser Thread Starter

Thanks for your interest in my problem. Can't say exactly how long I have had it, but several years. I didn't know that batteries didn't last the distance of a computer's life.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Depending on how you use and maintain a laptop, its battery lasts 3 - 4 years on the average.

Technology is getting better and batteries are lasting longer, but there's no guarantee that it'll last the life of the laptop.

--------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice