1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus V7100DC video card: which drivers, what order?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by videobruce, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. videobruce

videobruce Thread Starter

I'm running Win 2000 w/sp3 installed on a VIA KT133 MB.
    I have looked at the FAQ's which didn't help.
    I have read the manual which only confused the issue more.
    There are the V31.40 program/driver, the WDM capture driver V1.19, the Live V4.6b program/driver and the VGART/AGP driver dated 11/02.

1. What is the install order for the programs/drivers with a V7100DC?
    2. Which drivers are needed for the Live feature? Are WDM drivers needed?
    3. Is the VGART driver needed? How is that different from the VIA 4in1 patch?
    4. I get 2 error messeges under start services when I open Digital VCR: Can't find file sepecifed and Can't start kernel mode driver service. What isn't being started?
    5. I can't access the video in using either Video Security or Digital VCR, just the USB cameras.

2. hw45

hw45

Download the latest VIA4in1 driver v4.45 here .
    Download latest V7100 Series driver here .
    Reboot your computer and close all running programs and install 4in1 first. Then update your DirectX if nessecary (Windows updates) and after that install the video card driver.

3. videobruce

I have the latest drivers from Asus
    I have the latest 4in1 from nVidia
    The problem is:
    Should I use the vGart/AGP package from Asus or the 4in1 from nVidia? Or should I use it at all?
    Do I need the WDM package from Asus?

Asus's site lists:
    the video card package V3140
    a vGart package
    a AGP package (which seems to be the same as the vGart)
    a WDM capture package
    and the Live V 4.6 beta 2 package.

Do I need the WDM capture driver if I install the Live program? It works without it and I never install any other capture driver for this card.

4. hw45

hw45

VIA4in1 is not for your video card, it is for your chipset on the motherboard. That is the first driver to install. After that you can install the video card driver (doesn't matter, either Detonator from Nvidia or latest driver from Asus - I would choose the Detonator).

5. videobruce

It is for the video card, it works in conjunction with it. I know it isn't the driver and I do know it gets installed first, but there are 2 choices; one from Asus and the one fron VIA.

Do you have a Asus card since this applies for those cards not any card?

6. hw45

hw45

The VIA4in1 is for the AGP-port. And yes, I have V6600 running on Windows XP with Detonator driver. I had the Asus driver installed before and there is no differnce at all, not even in Benchmark points.

7. videobruce

Ok, do you have a VIVO version?
    If so, how about the WDM capture driver? Do you need that along with the sus Live program?

8. hw45

hw45

The WDM capture driver must be installed to use some of the latest VCR applications ................
    ASUS Digital VCR, like the ASUS Live utility, lets you view and capture video images from the card's video input port ................
    It's in the manual for the card.

9. videobruce

As I stated before, the manual doesn't make it clear and the web site has no mention what should/shouldn't be installed. Then the WDM isn't needed with the Live utility?

10. hw45

hw45

Yes it is!

11. videobruce

Why? I never used it before and it worked. I am running 2k w/sp3. Might that be for some other version of Windows?

12. hw45

hw45

I would be happy when it works and I wouldn't ask myself too much about that anymore. But you can download here the manual and read page 33.

13. videobruce

I got a response from Asus (believe it or not).

My letter:
    1. What is the install order for the programs/drivers with a V7100DC?
    2. Which drivers are needed for the Live feature? Are WDM drivers needed?
    3. Is the VGART driver needed? How is that different from the VIA 4in1 patch?
    4. I get 2 error messeges under start services when I open Digital VCR: Cant find file sepecifed
    and Cant start kernel mode driver service. What isnt being started?
    5. I cant access the video in using either Video Security or Digital VCR onlt the USB cameras.

Their response:
    The answers of your most of your problems can be found on the manual.
    1) OS->VGART->DRIVER
    2)yes
    3)The VGART includes the kinds of chipset drivers,such INTEL,VIA,SIS,ALI,AMD
    4)This is because you didn't install the wdm driver correctly.Please upgrade it to the latest version.
    5) The same to forth.

As far as the manual, it raised more questions then it answered. It still didn't address the install order.

14. hw45

hw45

But that doesn't mean that you don't need the VIA4in1 driver. This driver is for your chip set and also for the IDE port and other components to the driver set.

15. muegro

muegro

Hi all,
    I've got just the same problem on Win XP Prof. with a Asus V7100 Combo and I've not been able to solve it for more than one year.
    I have tried any combination of 4in1 drivers, display drivers, wdm's and versions of the Asus DVCR - without any success! I have contacted the Asus german phone support for several times, but the only answer I got was: sorry, we do not know, too!
    Your tips couldn't help me as well.

Whenever I am installing the WDM driver, I get the error "code 10" without any further explanation, and I can't find any help on the web - neither at Microsoft, nor at Asus, nor at nvidia, nor anywhere else. Have you got any tip on that subject?? After I've spent days of troubleshooting, I'm nearly desperated now!

By the way: I've installed Win 98 as 2nd OS on the same machine (with unchanged BIOS settings), and there are no problems at all with it!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice