1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS V9566/TB FX 5600 video card help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doors11, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doors11

doors11 Thread Starter

I just bought a ASUS V9560/TB card and seem to be having trouble with it..I di have some problems with my computer and had to re format the HD.

Now i wnet to upgrade to it form my ASUS Geforce 3 TI500 card.

I installed the card and installed the drivers from the install disc..
    The computer just locks up when it goes to start windows.It's a black screen with the mouse icon just trying to load.

I went ahead and tried using the 43.54 driver i dled and the same thing happens..So i went ahead installed my Geforce 3 back and installed the 41.09 drivers that seem to work best with it..No problem, works good.

I'd like to use the Geforce FX 5600 card with the 256 ddr 400 memory ..

Can i just remove my old card ,install the new card and use these drivers. I did had it working before..

When the Geforce FX was in , i could get 1024 by 768 and 16 bit color.

My system is

Windows 98 se
    ASus A7n266 mb
    512 ddr 266
    Live 5.1

Is the MB wrong for this video card.

Can you use the 41.09 drivers with this card?

Any thought would be great.

2. brianF

brianF

did you uninstall the drivers before you shutdown and installed the new card. If not go to add remove programs, uninstall everything related to the nvidia video card. Check in device manager, if the video card is still there select it and hit remove. Then shutdown and install the new card, install the drivers on reboot.

3. doors11

doors11 Thread Starter

That's what i did..

Now i'd like to see if the 41.09 drivers will work on this new FX card. I also tied the 43.54 drivers before i bought the card and on some things i play the font is a liitle messed up..

Let me know what you think.

Is it my MB not liking the FX card with ddr 400 memory?

Do you know what drivers are best for the FX series of cards.

I mean what number do they start with for those FX cards.

30.00 or above etc, etc.

Thanks

4. brianF

brianF

I am a little stumped on this one. The drivers you downloaded should work fine.
    Being you have an asus motherboard and asus vid card I would be tempted to contact asus and see what they say.
    If you uninstalled the previous drivers and installed as above there really is no reason it shouldn't work.
    Have you checked asus for bios and or nforce driver updates since you formated. Maybe you need to reinstalled the nforce chipset drivers.
    Sorry, wish I could be more help, maybe someone else has a better idea.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

I had the SAME issue with the GF5900... I could get Windows Desktop in SAFE mode.... go into display properties and by clicking APPLY - it tells Windows to boot in LOW-RES minimal refresh rate.

I also went into device manager to REMOVE ALL monitors.

Same thing... NO MATTER WHAT, black screen.

The only solution that *WORKED* was a WindowsXP Install.. :(

Yep, it was Win98se before that.... so there is SOME issue with the 98 driver on Nvidias part, as far as Im concerned. Same driver version too.

6. doors11

doors11 Thread Starter

When i first got the card . I installed it and never upgraded the dirvers i was using.. It seem to work..But I was having a problem with a couple games..But it could of been my computer.

I'm wondering if i could try and remove my card, install the fx card and use it..Would it cause trouble with my computer?

I'm up and running again..But i keep thinking that 256 ddr 400 memory would be awful usefull.

Any thoughts

7. suesman

suesman

Well that blows huh.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, other than what Compiler posted. Which blows chunks.

On a side note:
    You won't ever realize the cards true potential on the MB. Being that it only supports 4X AGP instead of the 8X the card's capable of.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

You should download the 45.xx drivers (98 version) and see if it helps. www.nvidia.com

If not, do a www.le.com search for DETONATOR DESTORYER, it will totally wipe out your video card drivers... then try the 45.xx drivers again.

A problem I'm having with your "help request' is that youre listing 3 different issues and not always clear on what card you're referring to. But still try the above.

Because Windows98 is over 5 years old and M$ will stop offical support for the product in a few more months (Hopefully they will retain at least the UPDATES til now) - most hardware vendors are doing SLOPPY work on Windows98 drivers or no longer optimizing drivers for Win98. So What stability Win98 had LAST YEAR, has gone out the door... it only takes a little bit of bad driver code to de-stablize your whole system.

I don't trust WindowsXP, but hopefully it will be the LAST M$ OS I ever install and Linux will have a more standardized Desktop with applications (Adobe & Macromedia) in the near future.

256mb does nothing... but the 5600 is a small to med-size upgrade over the GF3. The 5600Ultra/128 is quite a bit faster. With the new 52.16 drivers coming out soon, it should being it up nicely on par with the Ti4200. For future reference, DDR 400 is a term used for computer memory, not video cards.

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

There isn't much difference in performance between AGP 2x and AGP 4x.... much less 8x. He'd only be losing 0~2fps... not worth replacing a motherboard.

To Poster: You may also try installing 4-in-1 Drivers from via.com.tw but DON'T get the latest... I think 4.35 is the last of the GOOD Windows98 version... they'll have that recommendation on their driver page. Since youre board isn't that new - it will be fine.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice