Asus Versatile Performance Good at Gaming?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ibo_christian09

Hello I'm just asking if this notebook is good for gaming.. It is quite cheap but I am not sure about the specs.. Any downside about it? Any comment will help.. About the OS, just don't mind about it..

Asus Versatile Performance K42DY-VX045 (AMD-N660) DOS

PRODUCT SPECIFICATION

Processor:

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core N660
(3.00GHz, 2M L2 Cache)

Chipset
AMD RX881M + SB820M

Memory:
4GB DDR3 1066 Mhz SDRAM

Hard Disk Drive:
500GB

Optical Disk Drive:

DVD SuperMulti Drive

Graphics:
AMD Radeon® HD 6470M
with 1GB DDR3 VRAM

Network:
Integrated or 802.11 b/g
Built-in Bluetooth™ V2.1+EDR (Optional)
10/100/1000 Base T

Operating System:
None

Physical:
Dimension: 34.9 x 23.8 x 3.50 ~3.74 cm (WxDxH)
Weight: Approx. 2.20 kg (with 6 cell battery)

Display:
14.0" 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED backlit

Webcam:
0.3 Mega Pixel web camera

Audio
Built-in Speakers And Microphone
Altec Lansing® Speakers

Battery:
6Cells : 4400 mAh 47 Whrs

Ports:
1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
3 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI

Features:
Black / Brown 2 tone
Experience enhanced multitasking and mobile computing capabilities with the new AMD processors.
ASUS Power4Gear automatically adjusts fan speeds for quiet computing and prolonged battery life.
A Palm Proof technology-equipped touchpad distinguishes between the contact surfaces of the palm and fingers to prevent inadvertent cursor movements during typing.

I would say no. Although the graphics can support some of the latest games, its not enough to ensure a good gaming experience. If possible, go for a desktop setup as they tend to be better value. If that isn't an option you'll need to find a more powerful laptop.

I would always recommend custom builds as they're cheaper and if you can build them yourself, even better.

If you have the experience to put a computer together then make sure you say, we could pull some nice compatible parts together for you.

If you're not experienced with piecing components together then I would recommend something like this:

Gladiator ShockWaVe

Around $860

This may seem expensive but it's future proof in that upgrading wont be a problem.

If this is out of your price range and your looking for a more standard gaming experience, this might be better for you:

Gladiator IBIS

This build is pretty good since it supports some nice processors. Doesn't allow for as much RAM but I doubt that will be a problem for some time yet. Typical PCIe X16 slot for any graphics card upgrades. :)

I don't believe these builds can be delivered outside of Britain but still serve as an outline for what you could look for.

If you could post your general location (e.g USA, UK, etc) and your budget it would help. I can be more specific when looking for potential builds.

ibo_christian09

OK. That's a thing to consider upon purchasing a desktop.. How about a gaming notebook? Is there anything you can suggest that are cheap but has a reliable performance?

I'm not a laptop guy at all but the Versatile doesn't seem like a bad system at all. It's just lacking in the graphics department.

Something like the Radeon HD 6950M would be better.

If you're totally set on getting a gaming laptop then you could hang around this thread for more opinions from other members. Or you could start another thread specifically for finding a recommendation, if you do this, just make sure to note your budget and what sort of games you intend to play. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts