1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus VH236H monitor - flickering horizontal lines.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrazyRussian, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Thread Starter

Hi all,

I just got a brand new Asus VH236H monitor from Newegg. Pulled it out of the box, set it up on my desk, plugged it in, connected it to my laptop (Acer Aspire 6920), and all was good. That was about 6 hours ago.

Now, I'm seeing horizontal flickering lines all over the screen. Some are thin lines, others are thick bands. They're constantly moving up and down the whole display. Did some research, and seems like when this happens, it happens on all inputs. But the funny thing is, for me the flickering lines are only visible when in VGA mode. When I switch to HDMI (my Playstation 3), all is well. No lines anywhere in sight. Unfortunately, I don't have any DVI devices to also check that input.

I've checked all the resolution/refresh rate options given to me, and they're set to the recommended Asus values (1920x1080, 60Hz).

Can anyone tell me if this is a defect with the monitor, or if I need to find some advanced setting somewhere, and change that.

Thanks

CrazyRussian

EDIT: A friend of mine told me to unplug my laptop from its power-charger. And it worked. No more scrolling lines.
    So what do I do now? I can't run my laptop without charging it, but while its charging, the monitor picks up interference from the power cables.

EDIT2: Just tried running my laptops power cable to a different outlet, and that didn't help.

EDIT3: Completely untangled laptop power cable, separated it from all other cables, and threw laptop power block as far as it can go, and I moved the laptop 1 inch away from the monitor. That fixed the problem about 95%. The lines are still there, but very very faint. At this point I can't think of any other way to fix this. Must be a problem with my laptop hardware that is causing the interference.

Also, just in case, I checked my old monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 930b) just to make sure it isn't just my new monitor, and sure enough the lines were there, and gone when I unplugged my laptop. I just never noticed because the overall colors were much darker than my new Asus.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/954336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice