Solved ASUS X54C will power on, won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Inverge

This is my first time posting and I want to thank everyone in advance for their help!

I have an Asus x54c as mentioned, running Win10 64bit V1703 Build 15063.7, Core i3 3rd Gen, 6GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB Seagate HDD with stock MoBo and intel onboard graphics.

I unplugged power, removed the battery, took the KB out and removed the cover, HDD, cleaned the fan, double checked all connectors and devices that I had taken off, and the ones I had not ( just in case I accidentally dislodged something) and then put everything back together.

The laptop worked fine when I started the breakdown, and I have taken it apart to clean it before and to replace HDD and it was always fine when finished.

This time, however, I went to boot up the machine and it powers on and flashes the ASUS logo and goes to the cursor which blinks once or twice and then it just powers off. I already tried the surge and capacitor build-up release sequence (unplugging power, batt, holding down the power switch for a min or so, etc...) without success!

I have looked up possible fixes on U-Tube, tech FAQ's, and some forums, including this one. I haven't found an answer that suits my situation.

Does ANYONE have any ideas about what may be causing this to occur? I am not new to hardware install and repair or software support and config. This problem, however, is a new one on me and I have never come across it before.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Ken

Could be late reaction to new HDD my would do that but I changed HDD's and then it happened

managed

Allan
Was there a specific reason you opened it up or was it just 'maintenance' ?

Can you hear the fan spin up at switch on ? (I forgot to plug the fan in after doing similar jobs a couple of times, more careful now).

A new Cmos battery is always worth trying.

Inverge

Was there a specific reason you opened it up or was it just 'maintenance' ?

Can you hear the fan spin up at switch on ? (I forgot to plug the fan in after doing similar jobs a couple of times, more careful now).

A new Cmos battery is always worth trying.
Hi,

I was away for a day but last night I was working on it again and to answer your question, I originally just opened for maintenance as I have in the past, however, this time it would power on and it almost immediately powered down.

Last night as I was testing I noticed that the fan did not spin-up immediately!
  1. Is the fan supposed to spin-up at the exact time of power on, or does it wait for a few seconds? The reason I'm asking is that the entire time from power-on, ASUS logo flashing, cursor blinking once, and then power-down is approx 3 seconds?!? I know on my desktop the fan goes on immediately!
  2. Do you know what exactly happens precisely following the cursor blink with regards to firmware and software, or... ?
  3. I haven't replaced the CMOS battery as it was working well B4 I did the maintenance. Do you think the maint. may have drained and/or shorted it?
Any ideas or answers will be greatly appreciated by you and anyone who has had this particular problem as I have noticed from perusing many forums and this one as well, that this particular problem and/or very similar ones have happened with quite a few ASUS laptops!

Thanks!

dmccoy

Darrin
The fan should at least start when you first turn on the laptop. I would start by removing the wifi, video card, extra memory module, etc so you just have the minimum hardware needed to see if it will start and get to bios. This may help narrow it down.

managed

Allan
I agree with dckeks, the fan should come on when you switch on, even if only for a second or 2, seems to be part of the boot up process. Also agree about removing components, in fact you could go even further and remove the hard drive and all the ram, just to see if it makes any difference.

Since you are sure the Cmos battery is good there's no point in replacing it.

Inverge

Thanks, I haven't tried removing all the non-essential hardware. I'll give it a go and see what happens next!

Inverge

Thanks for all the suggestions. I DID fix it. I went through the MoBo with a magnifying glass and found a tiny metal shaving that was bridging a couple of traces on the top of the mobo coming from the fan connector. I had cleaned it with compressed air but that must have been the one that didn't, get away (so to speak)!

Anyways, I removed the metal shaving, made sure no other crap was anywhere to be found, put it all back together and it works like a charm, again!

Thank you all 4 ur ideas and insights, it helped me remain determined to find the problem, which is now SOLVED

managed

Allan
The shaving must have been shorting the supply to the fan. You did well to find it. (y)

(if you're sure it's fixed please use the 'Solved' button at the top of your webpage to show it is).

Inverge

Thanks for the help Allan, I marked it solved! Think I will now go get some badly needed :sleep: ?!

managed

Allan
You're welcome. I hope you slept well, you deserved a rest !

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online