Asus x551m: reboot and select proper boot device ...

meripaul91

Hello. I am receiving the message on my asus x551m laptop, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I have unplugged all usb devices and then I pulled out the hard drive and placed it back in, but that did not work. I tried to access the bios settings using F2, escape, delete, and all of the other function keys (F1 thre F12), but I still cannot access the bios settings. Please help. Thank you!

How to get into the BIOS of ASUS laptop?

Press and hold the F2 button , then click the power button. DO NOT RELEASE the F2 button until the BIOS screen display

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Either the hard drive is failing (or has failed) or the operating system is corrupt. What brand HDD have you got?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
From what I can determine:
The ASUS X551M laptop is 5 - 6 years old and originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit and a 500 GB SATA hard disk drive.

meripaul91

Yes, the laptop is 5 or 6 years old (not sure). I swapped the original HDD last year out for a Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SSD. Everything was working well up until recently. I just tried swapping the old 500GB Seagate Momentus Thin HDD drive back into the ASUS laptop, but I am receiving the same boot message. I was able to hook the new SSD up to a USB port on another laptop and I can access the documents on the new SSD.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You can put the SSD back in, use the Windows Media creation Tool to create a bootable flash drive (using another system) and try to run the repair on the drive. Failing that, you can copy all your important files to a backup location and try to reinstall Windows using that same flashdrive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online