1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus Zenbook Prime ux31a Plugged In But Not Charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheProfessor101, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheProfessor101

TheProfessor101 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a second charger for my Asus Zenbook Prime ux31a. Ever since the laptop does not hold a charge. The first replacement charger that I'd purchased a year ago worked fine. I'd purchased the second to keep at my office on campus.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    How old is the laptop? It might just need a new battery if it behaves exactly the same using either charger.

3. TheProfessor101

I purchased the laptop in February of 2013.

I'm wondering if the new charger may have damaged the jack/input and that's the reason it's not getting charged fully. The battery icon reads "Plugged in, charging" and provides a percentage, but that number never increases.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    And it's the same with both chargers ? With the battery removed does it work ok with both chargers ?

5. TheProfessor101

I'm not equipped nor confident enough to dismantle the laptop to pull out the battery. I've looked for some tutorials, watched them, but I still have my doubts. I worry that I'll create a thousand-dollar paperweight by trying to pull the battery on my own.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I keep forgetting that modern laptops don't have an easily removed main battery.

The first 3 minutes of this video show how to remove the battery, it's the large flat black piece :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylp_x3VKx2I

If you still don't feel confident after watching the video then you will have to take it to a shop if you want the the battery removed/replaced.

7. TheProfessor101

My question, though, is why do I get the laptop to charge on some occasions and not on others? Would that still be a battey issue?

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You still failed to answer the question we've both asked: does it work the same with both chargers? Does it charge with one but not the other? Does it sometimes charge with both and then fail to charge with both?

We can't attempt to answer your question until you answer ours.

9. TheProfessor101

My apologies.

In response to your questions: does it work the same with both chargers? Yes. With either charger, the charging either occurs or it does not. For example, right now, after a few Restarts, the Battery Icon reads "31% 1 hour 36 minutes until full charge.

Does it charge with one but not the other? The first replacement charger that I purchased about ten months ago seems to be the more reliable. It was after I purchased the second replacement charger that these issues began. (I was lazy. My plan was to keep one charger at home and one charger at my office on campus.)

Does it sometimes charge with both and then fail to charge with both? Yes. It seems that the Charging Gods are very tempermental sorts. With either charger and over the last few days, some times a charge will occur; most attempts, however, result in a diminishing percentage-number until eventually the machine loses all power and then it is a series of attempts of nursing the charge back to life from a very low percentage (5%). The highest percentage the Battery Icon has read since the purchase of the second replacement has been 89% and that was with the first replacement charger.

Thank you again for your assistance and patience.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    We can't tell why it won't charge or why the 2 chargers seem to behave differently sometimes.

Have a look at these 2 links below :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E-2RCp8CZ0&feature=youtu.be
    http://www.thorschrock.com/2013/04/05/how-to-fix-an-asus-ux31-ultrabook-that-wont-turn-on/

In combination they show how to disconnect the battery. Even doing that and then simply reconnecting it may help as in the 2nd link.
    Unless you can eliminate something, such as disconnecting the battery, everything will just be guesswork.

11. TheProfessor101

I understand, and I appreciate your direction.

I'll do my best to disconnect the battery and see if it's the culprit. I'm moving this week, so it may be a few days before I can get this done.

Thank you again for your time and patience.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Also, when you plug the charger in does the connector seem loose? If you move the wire around, can you get the charging to eventually start? It could be the connector on the motherboard that is the problem. (bad solder joint)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice