1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

asusa7n8x deluxe motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willya29, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willya29

willya29 Thread Starter

:confused: this motherboard has an nvidianforce2 spp northbridge and an nvidia nforcemcp (deluxe model0 southbridge. My os is win98se.

The manual tells me to make a directory wsr under windows and transfer windows files to it.

I cannot get the file win386 to copy to this directory. Tells me it is in use.
    I am therefore unable to download the nvidia nforce drivers from the cd to the computer.

I have an amd athlon2600x cpu, western digital hard drive(2), 512 mb 2700 memory, an asus ti4200 nvidia graphics card, a Santa Cruz sound card. a cd and a dvd rw installed.

Having tried everything I know to do and failed, I need help. The asus support section is no help at all as they just quote the manual. Any hel-p will be appreciated.

2. 1394

You could try going to nvidia's website and downloading the latest drivers there. All you have to do is double click the file once its downloaded.

3. brite750

brite750

I have that mobo, it comes with a cdrom "Nvidia nforce2 chip set rev 68.01" you just put it in and it runs what's the problem?

Just saw your using 98se, I was told that this board does not support 98se but I don't know if that is true or has anything to do with your problem.

4. darkjedi

darkjedi

what does the os has to do with the motherboard?

5. brite750

brite750

As I said I don't know, it was a new one to me also. When I bought my new system, see sig, I was told that I should get Win2k or XP, because the new hardware is not made to run with 98x. Is it bull, probably, but I couldn't afford the time to screw around, bought system for Acad project.

6. darkjedi

darkjedi

has anybody heard this problem before?

7. darkjedi

darkjedi

I just called asus technical support ,and I was told that windows 98se might work but, the motherboard has new technology that is not compatible with 98 , the motherboard will run slow and you won't the able to use full its full potential

8. darkjedi

darkjedi

It will be better to use windows 2000 or xp

9. brite750

brite750

Thanks for clearing that up, I was beginning to think I got smoke blown up my knickers.

10. storage_man

storage_man

I have a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mother board for the last 8 months. When I first built my system I was using Win 98SE. I installed all of the necessary ASUS drivers and never had a problem related to WIN98 and the Mother board. Today I have Win XP Pro, and the main reason I switched is for USB support. Support for USB mass storage under WIN 98SE was a hit and miss adventure. Device removal was always an issue along with proper support of the devices. This included flash drives, USB cd burners and DVD burners. Win 98 and ASUS should work.

Storage_man

11. darkjedi

darkjedi

store man , at least we now know that the motherboard works with windows 98, but according to asus it will not run to its full potential , I was going to upgrade my old motherboard to this asus motherboard and use my windows 98 , I do not believed that the performance will be reduce that much , I'm upgrading from a 400mhz to a 2ghz, in your personal experience did you see any diferrence in performance betwen windows 98se and xp

12. storage_man

storage_man

Darkjedi

I think win98 actually ran faster than XP. XP has a lot more overhead (ie: running tasks) than WIN 98. My system always had 512mb of memory and has 1 or more 80gb 7200 8mb buffered hard drives (I run WIN98, WINXP pro, and Red Hat Linux). They the drives were on sale so I bought 3 of them. I have an AMD Anthon 2400+ CPU.

Storage_man

13. darkjedi

darkjedi

thanks for the info, I was afraid that performance might be suffer because of windows 98

14. brite750

brite750

Hey, then my knickers are smokey. Well, I do actually like Win2000 pro, it's real stable, compared to 98se. It runs AutoCAD2002 really well, has a few little bells and whistles, but it cost me $160, curse you BG.

15. willya29

willya29 Thread Starter

My computer is plenty fast enough. Have no usb problems. Can capture vhs tapes, etc. The only thing that bothers me is I feel I should be able to install all the Nvidia drivers. There has to be a way around this business of Windows 98SE asking for the windows setup cd, then not being able to find it, no matter what drive I tell it the cd is in. I should be able to point the win directory and get it recognised. Instead it tells me I have elected to cancel the Nvidia driver setup everytime. The only thing I haven't done is completely reinstall the motherboard. This has been a good board and I really want to use all its potential. Anyhow, thanks for all the answers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice