at least 2 sectors bad, how long have i got?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wen

fell asleep before scan disk finished, i know 2 sectors are bad, how long have i got before the hd gives up totally?
should i ask santa deep pockets for 40 gig?

wen

Well it depends. Have you tried fixing the bad sectors? The software you use should tell you if it is unrepairable if it can't fix it. Is it an old drive? If so I won't hold my breath counting on it. (Hummm... that dosn't make too much sense... oh well.) You could get a lot more use out of it just be careful and make sure you back up important stuff just in case. (but you should be doing that anyway. --as "what's his name says"... data that isn't backed up isn't... well, nevermind )

wen

thanks duece, its less than 12 months old, it did repair the 2 sections but as i said i fell asleep and did not see anymore - sign of impending old age.

i'll start backing stuff up just in case, but i'll still send a begging letter to santa deep pockets for the 40 gig.

sorry i put this on twice, i was desperate.

wen

Well, I don't care if it is in twice. :) The other is in someone else's thread, so now you have your own. I say maybe you should put in your order to Santa Deep pockets, but it also looks as if your old hd may survive... injuries may not be chronic, but I don't really know for sure. You may want to run a full surface scan to check, but if you say you fixed the two bad ones you had, and you are pretty sure they is no more, then you should be clear.

wen

i've lost another sector.

scan disk shows another bad sector, it has repaired and shut down bad sector. it is \system\netapi.dll .
have looked thru msn and its come back with possible chronic virus.
is it that just my hard drive is slowly dieing or could it be this chronic virus?
have run norton anti-virus and this shows nothing.
your thoughts and ideas will be welcome.

thanks wen.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Most hard drives come with three year warranties.....go to the manufacturer's website and key in the required information for return instructions.

wen

pc world give you 12 months on hard drives.

how do you change the hard drive? is it simple? would just adding another hard drive and using that solve things?

thanks for your time and answers.

wen

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Still check into the drive manufacturer, i.e. Maxtor, Western Digital, etc. Go to their website.....this is outside of the retail outlet where you purchased it.

On a new installation, you'll just hook it up the same way you have the old one and follow the setup instructions which will be provided with the new hard drive if you plan on installing an operating system and going forward. If you want to try to copy the old drive to the new one (which may or may not be possible depending on how bad the drive is) then you'll hook the new one up as master, make the old one slave, and follow the instructions for drive copying. There should be a boot disk with the new hard drive with software that will make the installation easy.

Depending on your current bios you may have to install the software overlay so your computer can 'see' the whole 40G drive.

wen

i'll have to write santa a nice letter.

wen

wen

you are sooooooooooooo right, its a samsung drive and according to their site the drive is covered by a 3 year guarentee!
best of all they are only in telford which is a hop skip and a jump from me. hurrah!!!!

wonder how long it takes or whether they'll send me a new one?

thanks

wen

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
:D

Have never had to deal with Samsung....Maxtor has an instant ship on a new drive if you give them a credit card # -- once you get the drive (usually one to two days), you just return the old one and your credit card never gets charged.

wen

yes i have already stated the great backup, thanks for pointing that one out great one.

i'll let you know the outcome candy, i don't think it should be a problem now.

thanks

wen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online