1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

at my wits end - problem upgrading from 2k prof to xp prof

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tinman_n8, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tinman_n8

tinman_n8 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read this. I recently decided to upgrade my 2k prof installation to xp prof. Everything went fine and dandy, until I went to log in after the installation, and my mouse and keyboard didn't work. I figured something had gone wrong, so i decided to redo the installation. Now, I can't even re-install, because after I get done with the text-mode portion of the setup, the keyboard doesnt' work, and I can't enter the CD key to continue setup. Both the mouse and keyboard worked fine before the upgrade. I have tried both a PS/2 and a USB keyboard, to no avail. If the caps lock or nums lock lights were on before I get to the Setup welcome screen, they stay on, but I can't turn them off, and no keystrokes are recognized by setup. Has anyone run into this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm now on hour #9 of trying to resolve this issue. Thanks again

2. downtime

downtime

I ran into this on a 2k and an XP system after installing updates for logitech wireless mouse and keyboard. On the 2k system I was able to get back by using one of the choices given by tapping f8 at boot, I don't recall which. It was on an MSDN 2k, and it seemed to have another choice or two. On the XP machine, the only thing to do was a parallel install to get the data back.
    Try the f8 options and see where it goes. Once you have the reinstall going though, it always wants to boot back to completing it, and loses the kbd again.

3. PCfixer

PCfixer

I'll presume that your in England, once boote use tyour Tab key to highlight you way around the desktop, go to the Control Panel and select Regional Language, note there are two fields to complete on the opening page, make sure they match then click on the advanced tab and set that the same and then finally on Language tab and guess what....yep the same language woulkd be good.....This usually happens through using dodgy code where a co/american language is needed...I hope this helps if not I'll keep searchin for you, good luck...Dave

4. tinman_n8

tinman_n8 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I ended up just doing a clean install and losing all my existing settings, etc... XP had no problem recognizing the kb and mouse on a clean install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/146358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice