1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

at to atx conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unitedistand, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unitedistand

unitedistand Thread Starter

I had recently recieved a server case to build a fellow pastor a high-end system for ministry purposes. Much to my dismay, the case came with an AT power supply. If any of you have moderate hardware expierience, you should know that the switch is connected directly to the power supply (in comparison to the ATX format which plugs the power switch into the mainboard and feeds off of the power running though the mainboard.)

Since I will be using an ATX power supply, I have a couple questions:

1) Is it possible to convert the power switch to be usable for an ATX power supply?

2) If so, how would I go about doing that? (four wires run into this switch, they are color coded as follows: Brown, Blue, White and Black)

3) If it is not possible to convert a switch, then where would a new ATX switch be purchaseable at?

A picture of both the computer and the switch has been attached to see what I'm working with.

Attached Files:

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there unitedistand...

It can be done, but...because the switch is either always on, or always off, it would be very confusing as to how to power it up, and down, ( IE: you would have to push the switch to power it up, then push the switch again to break the connection, and do the same thing again to power it down, and for this to work you would need an OHM meter to check the switch, to see which wires make the connection ), however...assuming that the motherboard is an ATX motherboard, you can get an ATX power switch such as this, it should work just fine...

3. gws226

gws226

Hello and welcome...
    As an alternative to Jmaster's suggestion, it may be worthwhile to purchase a base model ATX case with a power supply.

Here's a list of cheap cases with PSU's from a reputable company
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=special&catalog=7&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

If you can hold out a week or two... they may have a special or two popping up. 2 Weeks ago they were offering Codgen cases with 350 powmax powersupplies for $29 with free shipping.

Good luck
    G

4. pronute

pronute

The switch for ATX is known as a momentary contact the contacts in the switch is spring loaded as soon as you press the switch the spring kicks back so the contactors can energize the solid state relay in the PSU. They can be purchased at most computer hardware outlets on the net, however that's only the tip of the iceberg, if your going to install an ATX motherboard in an AT case it will not work unless you do allot of modifications to the case, the mounting holes and stand off wont mach up on an ATX motherboard, and the I/O block on the motherboard will have to be accommodated. You are going to need a drill, #8 drill bit, 8-24 tap, dremel, sheet steel nippers. It will probably coast more to convert an AT to ATX then to just get an ATX case already made.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/145760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice