1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

At wits end (Sound drivers and file associations)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkcree, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darkcree

Darkcree Thread Starter

Rightio, about a month ago, i bought myself a new computer *Shock horror*
    500gg HD. 3gg dual-core AMD processor. 2k DDR2 RAM. Etc etc
    I even managed to get XP Home instead of Vista installed.

Now, got it up and running, great.
    Downloaded Service Pack 2.
    Not so great.
    One of the sound drivers stopped working.
    Luckily, having a computer literate background, and a father who works in the I.T business, we managed to get it down.

Everything worked great, a few errors with Windows such as freezing on startup occasionally, but i can live with that until i have more time to fiddle.

Now, today, another huge problem.

MSACM32.dll, according to Windows, got up and disappeared.
    Followed it's advice, replaced the driver, and viola.
    No more errors.

Just no sound still either.

The problem ISN'T no sound, as doing a sound test with Realtk HD Audio Manager actually put out some sound (It was designed to show how it can show 3D sound, but worked none the less)

So while having sound, having an up to date Codec pack, and a reasonable knowledge of computers, i still have no idea what the hell is going on.

It refuses to play sound files of any type (Music, sound on a video file) etc, and i'm at a wit's end.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Darkcree

Darkcree Thread Starter

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Codec packs are often responsible for sound loss. There should be no need for added codecs most of the time, and the ones that come in packs are very poorly written in many cases. In the rare case that an extra codec is needed, you can usually find it by itself. Try uninstalling the pack. Usually that does not work, however and a clean installation is needed.

4. Darkcree

Darkcree Thread Starter

Yeah, i tried that, and still no luck =(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice