1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

At your mercy. Home networking can't take any more of my tinkering.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ltlgrnant, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ltlgrnant

ltlgrnant Thread Starter

It's unlikely I'll ever evolve into an arrogant, fat-headed, know-it-all... Thanks to this baby (VGN-N130G) on my lap, I suffer regular ego ***-kickings each time I attempt to match wits with the developers and authors of all things PC.
    I have a Sony laptop running XP SP2 that's connected wirelessly to my desktop PC, also running XP-2. Internet service is via cable.
    My wireless network was initially set-up by a tech and I could access the music files on the desktop PC through the laptop. But it seems that every time I try to get to something on my other PC's hard drive, I'm blocked by one issue or another, that then, in turn, eats up the rest of my day while I try, unsuccessfully, to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it. Eventually my nephew stops by and sets things right. Then the cycle begins again.
    Today, when I attempted to watch a movie downloaded in .avi (and on desktop PC) through Windows Media Player on my laptop, I could hear audio, but it was from a different movie (!) and the screen stayed black. Fussing with the video settings was useless. Next, I tried opening it in QuickTime and got a pop-up informing me that in order to play the video, QT would need a third party plug-in?? or file? or something? It said that I could probably get what was needed at QuickTime's site. I went there and looked around, clueless, for about an hour.
    That's when I realised that I've been courting madness. Why drive myself insane fighting the fact that I just don't, and can't, understand how PC's, nor their software operate. So, I give up.
    Thank goodness you guys understand all this stuff. It would be terrific if someone could help me get this home networking thing running properly. I promise that I'll take the time that I would have squandered trying to figure it out myself, and pay the kindness forward
    /COLOR]

2. jmwills

jmwills

More than likekly you have a third party firewall such as Norton or Mcafee blocking the conenction. Turn those off or configure them for Safe Zone or Intra Zone Transfers.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make/model of your computer.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

4. ltlgrnant

ltlgrnant Thread Starter

Help me out with some details here, I'm brilliant, not clairvoyant!
    ---- Aurgh! I was thinking that you technology savants are probably born with special digitized chromosomes, thus enabling you to transcend space and time and retrieve this info yourself - (thereby eliminating the annoying, whining, wastes-my-time-by-filling-her-posts-with-too-much-unessential-dribble, PC user's route.)
    I'll take pen and paper and be on my way gathering requested info... I will return.
    Sara
    P.S. Just how do you get exact wording from messages that popped up but are now long gone??
    Talk amongst yourselves :D Sometimes I get distracted.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'm assuming that the error will reoccur, and you can capture it at that point. ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice