1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATA/100 controller card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DevilChilD67, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DevilChilD67

DevilChilD67 Thread Starter

my motherboards IDE is ATA/66, so i cant take advantage of the new seagate barracuda ata/100 hard drive. i want to add a ATA/100 controller card but i have no resources[irq's] i have one open isa/pci shared slot and a parallel port im not using. what should i do? :confused:

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I've installed ATA 100 cards that had only ATA 66 on the board and I didn't see an increase in performance.

Do this: Connect the drive to the current ATA 66 controller and use it for a week or two. This will give you a good familiarity with how weel it works with ATA 66. Then put in your ATA 100 card and come back and let us know if you have noticable difference.

I'll bet you will see little, if any at all.

As for boards that supported PCI as well as ISA, my experience has been that resources are scarce. ISA devices usually lock down an IRQ and not share it with any other slots.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll have to go with Alex on this one. While it would be nice to have the added interface speed, you'll be hard pressed to be able to even measure the difference in performance in the real world. :)

FWIW, PCI cards share interrupts, so you don't need a free one...

4. DevilChilD67

DevilChilD67 Thread Starter

thanks to both Alex Ethridge & JohnWill for helping me from making another of my many mounting mistakes (y)

i have a different question. on the subject of free pci slots and irq's
    i thought pci slots couldnt share irq's? i was told[by one of the techies at CompUsa] if two pci devices shared the same irq they couldnt function? the system would freeze or lockup? i ask because i have another faster computer AMD 1.4ghz with 4 open pci slots and NO irq's. i had ideas about adding a video capture card,firewire card,tv tuner card? :(

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The CompUSA Techie was either wrong or you misunderstaood.

Before PCI, there was ISA. ISA devices could not share resources with another device. I used to have a computer with two ISA modems. If I put the two modems on the same IRQ, everything was fine until I attempted to use the other modem at the same time. Then the machine would lock.

PCI solved that problem. Several PCI devices can share the same IRQ. That's why you can hav so many more devices in the newer computers, especially when the hybrids finally disappeared. (hybrids: both PCI and ISA in the same machine for backward compatibility) All-PCI boards almost did away entirely with device conflicts as they played well (shared resources) with other devices.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice