1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATA /133 Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gerson75, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gerson75

gerson75 Thread Starter

Hi everyone:
    I recently purchased a 80 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor HD to be used as an additional drive.Since my motherboard has a 32 GB capacity barrier and Flash updating the BIOS is such a problem, I bought a Ultra ATA/133 Controller PCI Card.I installed the card and its drivers but the HD still shows a 32 GB capacity in My Computer.Windows is in the NTFS File System so I don't know what I need to do. Please help!

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

check to make sure everything is connected properly, also enter your cmos setup, and make sure the drive is set to autodetect.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the autodetect setting is not significant, since you have to connect the drive to the ATA-133 controller to enjoy the larger drive size. :)

If you have connected the drive to the controller, I'm not sure what is happening, since I use a Promise ATA-133 with a 200 and 160 gig drive on it, simply because my BIOS only handles 128gig or smaller.

The other point is, for NT-2K-XP, you have to load the drivers for the controller before you'll see any attached disks.

4. gerson75

gerson75 Thread Starter

I did my homework using Microsoft Help and found the answers to my questions.Just had to make another partition of the drive.
    But thanks a lot anyways.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice