Ata and Sata Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SlyEnemy

Hello all, and thanks in advance for your much need help.

Here's the problem. A kind friend of mine gave me his old PC a year ago, as it had a much better Graphics Card/Ram that wasn't interchangable with my old PC.

I remember trying to install my old Hard Drive (Which was SATA) into the PC he gave me, but had no luck with it and gave up, choosing to use the ATA drive that came with his.

I've since destroyed the old PC, keeping bits and pieces, and fancied trying to install the SATA drive into this PC, I just can't seem to get it working however.

I've plugged everything in correctly, so far as I'm aware (Following guides and the like) and I'm being told that having the BIOS set to Auto should allow it to find the damn thing, but it just isn't happening. Here's the message I now get, before reaching the BIOS, each time I start up the PC:

"Hardware Initiate Failed, Please Check Device!!!

The Bios Does Not Be Installed (sic), Press <G> To Continue"

Then the computer boots as normal, from the ATA, without detecting the SATA, and I'm at a complete loss now. I've found guides mentioning using the Windows XP disc, and then inserting a floppy with the drivers on it... But there's no floppy drive on this PC :confused:

Help me Tech Support Forum! You're my only hope!

Here's my specs if necessary:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3000+
1.80 GHZ, 1.00 GB of RAM
Running Windows XP (Home Edition)

You should be able to download the SATA drivers from the HD manufacturer's website . If you're planning to run the SATA drive as storage you need only load these drivers into Windows and your SATA drive should then be recognised .Installing it as a system drive would require you to either install a floppy drive , slipstream the SATA drivers on to an OS instal disc or use a utility such as nLite . A forum search will throw up these options in more detail , if you need them .

SlyEnemy

Thanks for the fast reply :)

It's going to be used as storage, so that sounds easy enough. I'll head off to the Manufacturers site and see what I can grab.

Thanks again.

SlyEnemy

Hmmm... I visited the Western Digital Site (My Hard Disk is a Western Digital 1600JS) and there are no drivers available for download, just a specs list.

Any other ideas?

Hi mate...

I don't think this has anything to do with windows since the BIOS cannot detect the drive...

Anyway, in order to follow the procedure posted above you should download a driver for your SATA controller and not for the disk itself! This driver is likely to be located in your m/b support cd rom but try online as well in order to get the latest version.

SlyEnemy

Thanks for that Mosquito, already on it as we speak, however they're all "Install with Floppy" type Drivers, which is useless to me :Z

Oh well! Looks like it's going to be a single drive PC :D

Thanks for all your help.

crjdriver

OK, you are not going to find your sata driver at the WD site. You need to go to the site of who mfg the system or if a custom build, the mfg of the mb.

In order to help you, you need to post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, power supply, ram, etc, etc.

What do you mean by "install by floppy"? Can't you find a driver using a setup wizard??? Most drivers nowdays come in such packaging...

If I got you wrong and you need the SATA as the system/OS drive you can possibly use a usb flash drive instead of a floppy to install the missing driver while installing windows, if your m/b supports it. Same procedure, F6 when prompted and hopefully Windows setup will locate the flash drive and install the drivers. :)

Sorry for sending you in the wrong direction , OP . I was typing without thinking . It is of course the SATA controller on the motherboard that requires the drivers , as crjdriver and Mosquito555 have pointed out .
As you are using the SATA HD as storage you can save the drivers to your desktop or anywhere on your PC and load them from there .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online