1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ata controller card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

HI....my computer has ata-33..and im looking to replace the HD......however most new drives are ata-100...i was told that i can still run the drive on my current config..but it wont run as fast.....several questions...

1)is there going to be a dramatic slow down if i just use the drive with my current config?

2)if i do need to update system.....i can just get a PCI controller card...however..there are so many out there...."raid " this and that..im kind of confused...im looking for an economical solution to use for a 40mb drive

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

If you hook up a ATA/100 HD to your ATA/33 controller, the HD will just run at 33Mbps, instead of 100. Some mother boards come with both a ATA/33 and ATA/66/100 controller. The controllers are usually a different color

ATA/66 are blue

ATA/100 are red; this is usually how it is, the colors can be differnet speeds. check with your m/b book.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can run the drive on the 33mhz DMA, and it'll work fine. You'll notice a small improvement with a faster controller, if you decide to go that way, look into the Promise Ultra-133 TX2. It's cheap, and supports drives over the current 128gig BIOS barrier too boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice