1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATA drives and SATA hard drive enclosures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unusedcomptrdgre, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unusedcomptrdgre

unusedcomptrdgre Thread Starter

I have 2 ATA/IDE drives that I want to put in a 2 bay enclosure. I can't find any multi bay IDE enclosures I have checked Tiger Direct and Newegg. Where else can I look or is there an adapter or something that I can use or does it even matter?:confused:

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

You can get Network Storage enclosures that hold 2 or more drives ;)
    I know for a fact that Netgear do one that holds 2 IDE drives
    HERE

3. Hughv

Hughv

Tiger has a bunch of expensive NAS/RAID enclosures here:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4269
    There's no reason to put both drives in one enclosure unless you want the RAID feature.

4. unusedcomptrdgre

So what would be the advantage of having RAID feature over the individual enclosures? Doesn't the RAID feature allow data to be saved acrossed both drives?

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. unusedcomptrdgre

Hey thanks Hughv. That was an excellent read. In all honesty I must confess that I work for data storage company and recently got moved to the area that works with raid arrays. I believe that I should probably just go with two single hard drive enclosures now. Thanks alot!

7. Hughv

Hughv

You're welcome. I got interested in this after my RAID 0 failed twice, with a new board and new drives.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice