Atapi Dvd Rom Drive 16X Stopped working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kam338uk

Hi all :)

My sisters Atapi dvd Rom drive stopped working and I was wondering if anyone could help. As far as we are aware nothing has physically happened to it to stop it from working, and although I am running Win2k, my sister has got Windows XP.

It used to work fine but it has been switched off for a long time and now doesnt work - The computer can detect it and it comes up in 'My Computer', I can even eject the dvd from the computer but when a dvd is placed in the drive it just says "Please insert a disc into drive D:". I dont know the model of the drive (only as Atapi Dvd Rom 16X).

I have tried the following:

* Reinstalling the drivers
* Uninstalling and reinstalling the drive
* System restore
* I have checked that the leads are plugged in securely

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you ;)

When the laser dies in an optical drive it exhibits the same symptoms and is non-repairable.
Thet are very cheap nowadays.

Good Evening kam338uk, actually it sounds like it is time for a dvd burner, the price of these has dropped and they certainly make good sense to have even it it is mainly for the CD burning ability only.
Those old sixteens and twenties progressively lost their read sensitivity so you will not go far wrong updating.
Cheers, qldit.

kam338uk

Ok, thanks

I had to come to the very same conclusion (that the laser died) so Im glad I know something.
Yep, Im already bidding for another one on ebay ;)
@ qldit, I brought a Dvd burner some time back and have it on ->my<- pc, I dont think there is any need for my sis to have one as well but thanks anyway.

Now Im sort of presented with another prob:

Im a newbie and was wondering whether anyone could basically point out what the difference between SCSI and IDE is (and maybe any additional useful info) and how I can find out what kind my computer uses.

Thanks

Good Morning kam338uk, I would be wary of optical drives off ebay, these things have become quite complex in the current arena.
Warehouse prices for a DVDROM have reduced to the point of not much more than a tankful of fuel for a motor vehicle more recently. I also recently got a bundle of them for a similar price that I would have paid for a simple 52 speed CDROM a couple of years ago.

There is a program called Belarc, google it, it is a free information collecting program for stuff in your machine. When you run it, it will give a readout of what it finds in your machine, this should tell you everything.
SCSI is not all that common in the cheaper end machines these days and IDE systems have developed quite well to a point where, unless there is a specific reason for needing SCSI it is usually not provided. All components for it are more expensive.
At a guess I would suggest your machine would use IDE.
Cheers, qldit.

kam338uk

I used Belarc and you were right, it is IDE.

Thanks for all your help ;)

Im currently bidding on this item:
Hewlett Packard 16x DVD-Rom

The thing is, I asked the seller the model number so I could google it and when I did...
XJ-HD166S

It happens the DVD ROM drive isn't HP at all.

Anyway, thanks for all your help :)

Good evening kam338uk, Badge swapping is common with these things, never believe what you see on the machine.
Often running some ID program identifies them from their internal programmed electronic ID's as something completely different.
When you first come across it, it surprises you, but after a while you learn this is a normal industrial thing. You will find Acer may show as BENQ, Samsung may show as Compaq and all kinds of oddities, and it alters from model to model.
The problem with a lot of these kinds of drives is their capability for various speeds for various applications with various media, plus the newer double layer capability, so be careful with the technology you are getting.
That one is a 32 read speed CDrom so I don't know it is the latest type, I lost track of their capabilities some time ago. Plus and minus capabilities also complicate it moreso.
Best of luck with your bidding. Your bid roughly converted to Australian dollars would be about $33 which would appear to be good buying, the latest warehouse price for a latest series branded item here with warranty is around $65 so I would imagine you will get it for that all things considered.
Best of luck, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online