1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Atheism and God

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by Johnny-be-Good, Jul 8, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    Indeed.
    The human condition :D

2. valis

valis Moderator

That there is the issue; I know many atheists and none of them 'hate' god, or the concept thereof. They just discredit it.

That said, it must be mentioned that I dont tolerate extremists; when 'hate' enters the equation I usually head out.

As to your question regarding the logic of your statement, give me a few to think.

:)

Interesting thread. Glad it isnt Obama's fault. ;)

And Street Outlaws is silly. :D

Okay, let me work on your logic question. On mobile so it may be a bit.

3. valis

valis Moderator

Logic is logic but we are missing the bottom line here; only way to find out is to die.

Faith in logic is still faith; logic itself does not answer everything. We still have 'faith' that the smart people are not misleading us. Which is obviously the critical thinking part.

I personally believe in (read: hope for) a higher plane of existance but I aint holding my breath. Logic dictates we are worm-fodder. Faith indeed breeds hope. Or may e the other way around; atheists and foxholes after all. ;)

4. valis

valis Moderator

lol....great minds.

Drabdr likes this.
  5. Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    I've met some that do and some that don't.
    The fallacy is in trying to establish an absolute. Same with atheists and those of religious faith.
    If you remember, in my opening post, I projected a sum of 'some' atheists, not all or most, just some. A religious person, not all religious people
    And, imo, anyone that hasn't met one of those 'somes' and 'A's has been living a sheltered life :eek:

An honorable characteristic.
    I guess you've never encountered an evolution versus creationism debate? For very long? ( :D )

Sure.
    I'll even help you out.
    It was to add diversity among all those I hate Trump threads. I wanted to keep Brad happy (lol)

He's already had his turn in the barrel.

:D

You mean 'why ask why' ?
    'Why not'?

6. Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John

But that isn't the bottom line to this thread.
    It's not about proving one way or another in relation to an afterlife and a supreme being, it'a about perceptions, how their reached and how they are rejected along with respective views of opposing positions.
    Anyway, logic can only be logical within parameters.
    That is a consideration of the apples to oranges comparison. :)

Context?
    Religion or trust?
    Apples to oranges.

A premise is devised followed by a conclusion. Logic addresses correctness. Or it's lack of :D

In this instance, faith is contextually trust.
    Your statement started with something known, smart people.
    The fallacy is not knowing their character. They might be smart devious people, like politicians :D

Watch Congressional hearings much?
    (Yes, I'm being cynical, but it's pertinent. :) )

Jackpot ( not that I agree, though )
    This is 'oranges' logic where your previous example was 'apples'.
    "Faith indeed breeds hope" is not a trust statement based on a known fact. It's inherently religious by inferring a belief with out knowledge.

Comparing the two is a logical fallacy.

Logic isn't an absolute when it commits a logical fallacy :D ( not laughing at you, just how silly that sounds. But it is correct.)
    Context of the term 'Faith' makes the difference here :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  7. Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    I start off by admitting to my self there is much I don't know, much to find out, and much that can't be known.

valis likes this.
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice