Athlon 64 3700+ running slow?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ShinyObjects

Hey, this is my first post here. I've got a problem that's REALLY bothering me, and I hope someone can help.

Here's the deal;
My old system was as follows:

Athlon XP 2000+
512mb RAM
60GB HDD
Leadtek Geforce 6800gt
Windows XP (no service packs)

it was a pretty crappy machine for gaming, aside from the video card, so I just laid down a ton of money to upgrade. Here's the specs for the machine I just finished putting together:

Athlon 64 3700+
1gb RAM
250GB SATA HDD
Leadtek Geforce 6800gt
ASRock 939DUAL Motherboard
Windows XP SP2 (32 bit)

Now, this is the curious part. I use my PC almost exclusively for gaming, and although performance in some games and applications is slightly improved, by and large my new system seems to run about the same as the old one. some games seem to run about the same as they did before, and my 3dmark2001SE scores are only around 11000. this is about half the score I've seen other equivelant systems reach! All of my 3dMark scores are either about the same as they were before, or even slightly lower! What could be happening? I checked my agp settings in the bios and found that my apature was set way below 256, and slot speed was at 2x instead of 8x. I fixed those settings, but still no improvement. It's starting to look like I spent all that money for nothing... Help please!

I never look at 3dmark scores, in my opinion they arent that good of a measurement of how good a pc is for games. Instead, I prefer to watch the frame rates with FRAPS during games.

By just looking at the specs, the new system is an obvious improvement over the old one. It would be better to actually play the games you usually play and adjust the video options and compare the gameplay to what it used to be.

Seeing is believing :p

ShinyObjects

Thanks for the quick response. I agree with you that 3dmark scores can be fairly meaningless, but a score that low, I believe, warrents investigation. as for actual game performance, some games do run noticeably better, but not by as much as I know they should. the difference, for the most part, is fairly negligible.

Make sure all the drivers are installed properly, update Windows with SP2 and the .NET framework...

ShinyObjects

Nevermind, I think I got it.

I just went through all my chipset drivers and found I had to update a few.
Then I flashed the bios, and my 3dmark2001se score jumped to just under 20000!

I haven't checked any games yet, but this seems to have done the trick.
Thanks for the help, guys.

If things aren't up to par, its usually drivers...

Anyway, if it fixes your game performance you can mark this thread solved I guess.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online