1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Athlon 64 FX-51

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AgentJones, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AgentJones

AgentJones Thread Starter

My friend just asked me to build him a new computer that was completely top of the line. He has a budget of $3000 so i decided to get him a Athlon 64 FX-51. I dont know too much about this besides the basics and i know its really fast. I'm gonna use the Asus SK8N motherboard but i have a few questions about memory. It supports dual channel, but i dont know how to setup dual channel memory or what to buy. I also read that the FX-51 requires registered memory, but what about ECC? What is ECC and do i need it/should i get it?

Also, should i get a different heatsink than the one that comes in the AMD retail box?

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

Do your friend a REAL favor...

WAIT about 2 months or so... They have kinks to work out.
    Spend the next 2 months researching parts and ordering them.

By November, there maybe new video cards on the market.

Does that $3000 include a 21" Samsung LCD Monitor? http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=213T-Black ($1000)

Right now, getting parts for the 64bit AMD is going to be tough, memory prices are extra high.

Look what you can put togethre for about $500:
    http://ap.terrabox.com/rpc

(not including kick butt video card)

3. AgentJones

My friend really wants his computer NOW so i cant wait. He already has a 22inch flatpannel so i dont think i'll get him that, but it does look awsome. I'm also getting him a Radeon 9800 PRO ULTIMATE 256. (i know the 256 isnt much better than 128, but hes got so much money to spend). He doesnt really care about the price of the parts because its not his money hes spending. His parents are giving him the 3000 (very spoiled).

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Very spoiled...

Save the $100 mail it to me... ;) Use the $100 to buy more games, joysticks, lights for the case... the extra 128mb may get him 0~4fps faster.

Okay, why not set him up on the AMD2500 / ASUS A7N8x board to hold him for about 2-3 months THEN upgrade him again (and you sell the parts or use them yourself)... Until WindowsXP64 bit is out - you are not going to see much improvement over an AMD 3200.

He's gonna have a HARD time spending $3000 on just the computer. But make him the offer for the parts later for doing double work... He'd have a bit more reliable system... sorry, with experince - it always takes about 2-3 months to stomp out the big bad bugs... and were talking whole new technology.

Hell... BUILD two computers! (If he has room, which i bet he does) so when you or another friend comes over - you have 2 systems networked to battle it out (and serve as a backup).

Remember that link above... build that for about $500 or so, stick on a $275 15" LCD screen (that can be LINKED with a switch box to his main PC for dual screen output - handy for SOME games).

For the money, for his MAIN machine, go with the coolermaster (if he wants elegance - called the "wave"), find or make a window kit for the side. Stick in high quality blue lit LCD cooler fans (not Antec) and you don't have to bother with the NEON like lights.

Use a RAID card to set up 2x 200GB HDs RAID 1 (for security) - Raid 0 is faster - but losing one drive means the other is corrupted (but not damaged). Logitech wireless joystick.

5. AgentJones

I'll mention this to him, but i seariously think he wont go for it. He wants his top of the line machine ASAP. Do you know anything about the memory registered or ECC thing in case he wants it now?

6. AgentJones

I asked my friend, and he doesnt want to wait. Does anyone know about the registered ECC ram?

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

You must locate and buy the RAM... Call up Newegg... read the review from www.tomshardware.com - they tell you which brand of MEMORY they used.

You MUST locate the memory to work with this CPU correctly. :(

You could go to Newegg and do an ADVANCE search for registered MEMORY. They have a 1GB set for the FX for $400

So for MEMORY and CPU alone, thats about...

$1200 - FX+1GB
    $ 400 - ATI 9800Pro
    $ 200 - AMD fx51 compatible motherboard
    $ 200 - Coolermaster (or other top end case)
    $ 100 - Vantec 400 watt PSU with speed control (HQ, highly recommended for low noise and low heat) - anandtech.com review.
    $ 200 - SB Audigy2 card
    $ 200 - 200mb Western Digital or Maxtor Hard drive
    $ 80 - Logitech Wireless keyboard & mouse
    $ 50 - Logitech Wireless joystick
    $200 - Windows XP - Pro Edition
    $300 - DVD-RW/CD-RW drive
    ------------------------------------------------------
    $3130 - TOTAL Not including taxes or shipping

Not including lighting or round cables.

8. pronute

pronute

You forgot to mention the price of a 64 bit OS and I don't think there is a home version. For the money if your friend really wants a 64 bit processor then get Mac G5, I myself really like to know who makes the G5 case I like one myself.

9. AgentJones

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

Pronute: And WHICH Macintosh G5 computer has a 64bit Operating System installed?

AgentJones, if the SKN8 only works with DDR333, then go with it.. but are they planning on DDR-400 for future NForce3 boards?

DDR333 is a LOT cheaper (about half price) of DDR-400 (both, registered)... but yes, DDR-400 should work fine.

11. pronute

pronute

All of them Mac G5 look for your self
    You need a 64 bit OS for a 64-bit processor or it will run like a P4 with Win 95, it works but you will have problems. AgentJones your friend would do well to look into the Mac G5 it is now the fastest PC and it can be set up with all the bells and whistles also for a little bit more then half his budget and runs all industry standard software as well as all the newest games.

12. compilerxp

compilerxp

Mac OS is still 32bit. A 64bit version of MAC OS should be available sometime in 2004. Apple added a few APIs to work with the new G5 CPU, but the kernal and all its tools & programs are 32bit.

64bit is new for desktop... WindowsXP will run FINE on the AMD64bit - but will not take any advantages of the CPU. Both me and the OP (Original Poster) have recommened the buyer to wait... but that's not going to happen, so we move on.

- All bells & whistles for a bit more than half the budget? Bottom end G5 is $2000 (2/3rds the budget) - Which is a:
    1.6Ghz CPU which puts it under a P4 3Ghz CPU.
    256mb of RAM (1/4 the memory)
    80GB HD (instead of a 200GB)
    A GeForce5 5200Ultra (A worthless $100 video card)

For 3,095.00 - the 1.8Ghz G5 (single) has the same ATI9800 / 1GB RAM / 250GB HD... (But yes, the case is hot)

- Latest games? Half Life2 is not listed for Macintosh. Go into any game section in any store - Macs do not even have 1/10th of the game titles.

I'm not PRO Windows, but the facts still remain... Windows is a gaming platform and basic work. Macs are business, graphic artists and basic computer users (Very few mac users would care to see what makes her tic), Linux is for power users & business when security and relibility are important. Unix is still the Big Guy for running super computers.

Apple has got a good design... but I've seen a PC that looked better- saw it at a convention.

13. pronute

pronute

With a little more research I found that your right compilerxp

I still can't see building this screamer and not take full advantage of the processor by using a 32 bit OS.

14. compilerxp

compilerxp

Well... there isn't much choice in the matter...

The ONLY 64bit Operating Systems on the market have the letters I, N, U and X.

AMD is NOT in full production of their 64bit consumer line until 2004 when Windows64 comes out... Think of it... Microsoft - as usual... keeping technology DOWN.

15. compilerxp

compilerxp

Hey Agent Jones... please read this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1884&p=18

They are really set against purchasing the 64fx, but do recommend the Stanard 64. They are talking about a new version of the FX coming out that will be easier and cheaper to work with in 2004. The difference between the fx and non fx is not that great... and would cost about 1/2 the price... using more mainstream memory.

Like in UT2003 - the AMD64 is faster than the P4, even the "EE" version (by a hair).... the fx51 is only 2fps faster than the AMD64 which leaves the XP3200 in the dust... And this is with 32bit Windows!

So even with todays OS, he will get a lot of speed with a regular AMD 64 CPU. Reading the reviews and such, I agree with them... the fx51 will be very limited and pretty much a waste of $600 that could go into other things... DVD burner, accessories, etc.. besides issues of memory and stability.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice