1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Athlon 850 recognized as 800

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4 Computer Fix, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix Thread Starter

Here's what's going on:

I have an ASUS K7M RM motherboard that had a 550 mhz processor on it. I changed it to an 850 mhz Athlon I just received today. When booting up it shows an 800 listed - instead of an 850. Any ideas? Don't know if you need any more info but here is some more:

ASUS K7M RM motherboard
    850 mhz AMD Athlon Slot A processor
    384 meg SDRAM PC133
    Xpert 128 pci 16 meg video card
    on board sound
    52X cdrom
    floppy
    Iomega 250 zip drive
    20 gig HDD

Thanks for your time!!

2. 4 Computer Fix

OK I got to thinking. The 850 mhz processor wasn't available when I built this thing. So I went to the ASUS website and got a flash upgrade for the BIOS. I rebooted, saved old BIOS (thank God), flashed it with the new one, and rebooted again. Well it was showing AMD(unknown) 850 mhz. GREAT RIGHT??? WRONG!! It would boot into Windows - would get to the splash screen and reboot by itself. Tried going into Safe Mode and it gave me Windows Protection Error - You Need To Reboot. So I flashed the BIOS back to the old one and am back up and running but still showing 800 mhz.

Truly anoyed!!!!

Thanks for your time!!

3. 4 Computer Fix

The last message should have said it wouldn't boot into Windows instead of it would boot. Some more info too. I ran SiSoft Sandra - it says I have an AMD 856 mhz processor. But BIOS is still showing an 800. Should I not worry about what BIOS says and be happy with what I've got? Thanks for anyones time that can try and help me with this..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice