Athlon 850 recognized as 800

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

4 Computer Fix

Here's what's going on:

I have an ASUS K7M RM motherboard that had a 550 mhz processor on it. I changed it to an 850 mhz Athlon I just received today. When booting up it shows an 800 listed - instead of an 850. Any ideas? Don't know if you need any more info but here is some more:

ASUS K7M RM motherboard
850 mhz AMD Athlon Slot A processor
384 meg SDRAM PC133
Xpert 128 pci 16 meg video card
on board sound
52X cdrom
floppy
Iomega 250 zip drive
20 gig HDD

Thanks for your time!!

4 Computer Fix

OK I got to thinking. The 850 mhz processor wasn't available when I built this thing. So I went to the ASUS website and got a flash upgrade for the BIOS. I rebooted, saved old BIOS (thank God), flashed it with the new one, and rebooted again. Well it was showing AMD(unknown) 850 mhz. GREAT RIGHT??? WRONG!! It would boot into Windows - would get to the splash screen and reboot by itself. Tried going into Safe Mode and it gave me Windows Protection Error - You Need To Reboot. So I flashed the BIOS back to the old one and am back up and running but still showing 800 mhz.

Truly anoyed!!!!

Thanks for your time!!

4 Computer Fix

The last message should have said it wouldn't boot into Windows instead of it would boot. Some more info too. I ran SiSoft Sandra - it says I have an AMD 856 mhz processor. But BIOS is still showing an 800. Should I not worry about what BIOS says and be happy with what I've got? Thanks for anyones time that can try and help me with this..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online