1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Athlon System Temperatures OK?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apakhira, Jun 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apakhira

apakhira Thread Starter

I have an Athlon XP 2000+ running on an MSI KT4V M/B.My temperatures while idle are-
    • System - 37 C
    • CPU 55 C
    And those when playing games are-
    • System - 47 C
    • CPU - 67 C
    Are they OK.What are your temperatures?

2. mobo

mobo

this was taken from an overclocking site for athlon processors

"Thermal solutions must monitor the processor temperature to prevent the processor from exceeding its maximum die temperature."

Unfortunately, most motherboard manufacturers don't make this temperature available via monitoring software. Usually, an in-socket thermal sensor is used where the temperature is some 10°C below that of the thermal diode. If you can get a thermal sensor that is small enough to tape in the center of the processor on the underside, this is an ideal alternative as AMD quote temperatures measured in such a way are within 2°C of the internal diode. Personally I chose to have a system that runs at a maximum in-socket temperature of 55°C (equates to Tdie = 65°C) if the stated maximum is 85°C. I would prefer to have a system running cooler than that as the lower the temperature the more you can overclock. Often though, the Vcore has to be raised dangerously high before these levels are reached.

3. max 8

max 8

I think that's kinda high even though the max cpu temp 85c or 90c depending on your specific processor.

I can only help your to system stability-wise and your cpu's longevity to bring that cpu temp below 50c while gaming.

We don't know if you have any case fans or what type of Heatsink & Fan you are using. I'm assuming that you also aren't using any type of thermal compound.

Can you please give us more details about your hardware?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have an XP 1700+ overclocked to 2400+, and it's idle temperature is 40C, it gets to 48-49 under load. This is with a pretty small copper heatsink and fan, so I think your temperatures are a bit high.

5. mrap1

mrap1

You're lucky that your system still runs at such high temps! My computer can't go past 52°C. Whenever it goes past this stage it automatically reboots.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those temps are a little high; cpu temps are affected by ambient temp. What is the room temp of the area in which you have the computer? If the room temp is reasonable [<80F] I would investigate the cpu cooling.
    Some things you can check.
    Make sure the hsf is mounted correctly; they are easy to get on incorrectly especially if the hsf was mounted without removing the mb.
    Ensure your cables and wires are tied up and moved out of the way to facilitate good airflow through the case.
    Use one intake fan at the bottom front blowing air into the case and one exhaust fan at the upper rear of the case blowing air out.

7. JohnWill

Actually, my cooling improved by about 5C when I removed the intake fan and added a second exhaust fan. I was a bit surprised it made that much difference, I didn't expect any change. :rolleyes:

8. apakhira

apakhira Thread Starter

I have the heatsink and fan which was supplied with my processor- an aluminium heatsink, I think.
    And my room temperature is around 90 F.

9. A Hawk

A Hawk

If your room temp is 90 f then its going to be hard to cool down your cpu. It's a wonder that its not running a lot hotter. Try cooling the room down, it will help a lot.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A room temp of 90F is too warm for running your computer. If it is not possible to cool off the room, I would remove the side cover and place a small desk fan next to the case blowing air into the case. This should help your cooling.

11. JohnWill

I'm astonished at the notion that a room at 90F is considered too hot run run your computer! :confused: The only effect is to raise the interior temperatures by a few degrees C over a room at say 80F. If you're running so close to the margins that a 5C temperature rise is an issue, you have bigger issues than the room temperature. :rolleyes:

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All of our computers at work are in air conditioned rooms. The military uses air conditioning, not so much for comfort, but to keep electronics cool. I do not think our comfort is high on the list of priorities. This has been the case since our submarines were air conditioned during WWII; it was done to keep the electronics cool.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The airplane I fly today is highly computerized; it has a max operating temp again not so much for performance but rather for avionics cooling.

14. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

That appears to be the place to start. Your case is getting way too hot. Get a couple of rear exhaust fans (they can be inexpensive sleeve bearing fans) and make sure you don't have your rig in some cubby hole in your desk or too close to a back wall. Get it out in the open.

15. gws226

gws226

I think mysticeyes in onto something here... that sys temp is way too high. Usually sys temps are largerly influenced by the lack of ventilation in your case.

Try this... pull the side panel off your case and then run your tests. If your sys temp falls 10C then you then you definately have a big ventilation problem. Add a few case fans. This may be all need to do to get your CPU temp back into safe territory.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/137034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice