1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Athlon XP 1900+ (or is it)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jballou, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jballou

Jballou Thread Starter

I ordered an Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6Ghz). This is my first Athlon XP. The Athons that I used to use had brown cores. This one had a green core so I assumed it was right. After constructing my computer, BIOS was saying it was running at 1.2Ghz. Windows said the same. What happened? Did I get the wrong thing? Do I have to correct the speed in BIOS? There is no jumper on the mobo to set the frequency.

Also, I am using a liquid cooled system. My processor is running at around 75-85 degrees farenheit. I've never overclocked before and was wandering about how much I could overclock it.

2. dud

dud Guest

I'm not too sure what the correct speed should be but the XP range of chips are named after their Intel or Pentium counterparts.
    AMD CPU's in this range are better and faster than the intel ones, thus if you have a 1900XP, what you actually have is a chip that, although it runs slower than 1900, it actually performs as well as, if not better than, the intel equivalent.

3. max 8

max 8

You need to go into your bios and change your FSB to 133mhz.
    That will get your processor to it's rated speed.

The AMD processor at initial install always defaults to 100mhz.
    And since your multiplier is 12, then 12X100 = 1200mhz.

Once you change your FSB to 133, then you'll be running at 1600mhz which is the correct speed for your XP1900+.

4. Jballou

Jballou Thread Starter

Thanks Max B, That fixed it. I can tell a big difference now. I am still wandering about overclocking though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!