1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Athlon XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaneyJ, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaneyJ

CaneyJ Thread Starter

I've heard it's socket A. Is it compatible with a KT7A Raid?

2. Rikku

Rikku

3. radio operator

radio operator

Beware of the numbers quoted with Athlon XP's. Just because it says "Athlon XP 1900" does not mean it is 1900 Mhz !.

4. deuce

deuce

Yes... it's actually 1.5 Ghz I think. They just call it 1900 because they claim it's equivalent to a 1.9 Ghz Intel. AMD has it's advantages but currently run to hot for me. (I prefer not to have a jet engine two feet away) Amd is behind a little as the XP1900 is the fastest they have. Last I heard Intel hit 2.0 but I'm sure they have a cpu out over that now... of course, with Intel you have to pay for that research with the pricey tag associated with Intel. I think the 2.0 is $585 at least. For anything you need as of now 1.5 is plenty whether it be AMD or Intel. (and relatively inexpensive too, as compared to a processor a few tenths of a gigahertz more)

5. CaneyJ

CaneyJ Thread Starter

problem is I think I have an old version of the KT7A Raid. Bought it a few months before XP came out.

6. CaneyJ

CaneyJ Thread Starter

are there any pci adapters for the XP?

7. Rikku

Rikku

ooooo you're right.... If you don't have v1.3 of the MB then its not compatible...

hmm.

Perhaps someone else knows, but I don't think there are many solutions at this point besides getting a new mother board.

sorry:(

8. deuce

deuce

Well you would need an adapter to get the desired voltage for the Xp but with all the hassel of trying to get it to work with the old mobo you might as well be better off getting a new one. Some mobos with that chipset run fairly cheap. If you can find a used computer dealer you might be able to get them to take it off your hands for you and get some money back, or maybe exchange it with them for the mobo you need.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!