1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Athlon xp2000 running at 1250,want 1666

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davephil, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

I'm using an epox VIA KT400a mobo, amd athlon xp2000+ cpu, and 2sticks ddr266 ram. Looking in the bios (phoenix award bios 6.0), I see the "current fsb frequency" at 100. 100 x 12.5 (mult) is giving me my 1250. This "current fsb frequency" is grayed out, and I can't seem to change to 133. I know this processor can run at 1666. I've tweaked it as high as 1400 changing the 'cpu clock' to around 115, but even when I do that the fsb doesn't record anything other than 100.

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

Sounds as though U have been changing things in BIOS.
    I would do this.

1) Power Off System
    2) Pull Power Cord from back off PSU
    3) Reset CMOS to Default by Jumpers (Usually JBat 1) on System Board (Refere to your Manual)
    4)Power up
    5) Change Multiplyer to 133

And Bingo you will see Euthentic AMD 2000+ on Boot up.

Hopefully....

Sherry

3. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

Thanks. I have re-set cmos by switching jumper on mobo. Right now, everything is at 'default'. When you say 'multiplier' do you mean the cpu clock? This is what I changed from 100 to 115 (the max before the pc wouldn't boot) and gave me the 1400mhz. changing the 'cpu clock' doesn't change the 'fsb frequency'.

4. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

No I mean the Multplyer.
    Keep searching your Bios and U will see the Multiplyer settings.
    ATM it is 12.5X 100

Change to 12.5 X 133

I think it is in the Frequency Area of the Bios.

5. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

oik, thanks. There is a 'power bios features' area of the bios. I believe it's here that the changes must be made. the choices: 1. system performance (std,fast,fastest,turbo,ultra,expert). 2. cpu timing (normal, fast). 3. romsip table (normal,fast,ultra). 4. dram command rate (1T,2T). 5. Current fsb frequency 100mhz (display only) 6. current dram frequency 166mhz (display only). 7. dram clock (by spd,100mhz,133mhz,166mhz,200mhz). currently at "by spd". 8. auto detect pci. 9. spread spectrum. 10. cpu clock. 11. cpu ratio.
    I believe, that in my bios, the closest to 'multiplier' is 'dram clock"? do you agree. Thanks!

6. SP3CIAL1ST

SP3CIAL1ST

DavePhil you were right in the first place it is the CPU clock that you must change and set it to 133, but as you said when you go above 115 the PC doesn't boot. I'm actually having a similar problem on my secondary machine ATM, when I set it above 118 it becomes unstable and anything over 120 it just says "no signal detected" on the screen but the PC still boots. I really thought this was a really rare problem, I'm currently in the process of trying to fix it, if I find anything out I'll let you know and I'd appreciate it if you could do the same

7. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

thanks, I will. something else, though. when I first got the new m/b (summer,2004), it (I believe) was running at 1250. within a few months, I DID manage to incr. its' fsb to 1666. I looked up an old post here from sept.2004 and I mention running at 1666mhz. What I DON'T remember, is if I bought the board/processor already running at 1666 or if I tweaked it myself (happened 2 years ago). But up to about 2 months ago, I believe it was running at 1666, but now I can't seem to reach that speed. Very strange. I will try to contact mobo manuf. (epox) and see what they have to say. Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice