1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ati 5870 or 5850

Discussion in 'Games' started by iansweb, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iansweb

iansweb Thread Starter

Basically which is better? Yeah I know the 5870 graphics card is bench mark at the mo and it dont come much better, but if I bought a 5850 would I notice much of a difference in my gaming experience...
    What does the forum think?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Better? 5870, no doubt whatsoever.
    However.... pretty much all games will run fine on a 5850. Bad Company 2 plays fine, FPS around 50-60 as a rule, from what I have been told.
    In terms of money, the 50 is much cheaper.
    Overall, take the 50. It is cheaper by a significant amount, performance is good enough for pretty much all games. If yo uwant asnother alternative, the 5770 is doing well, not too far away from the 5850. And you will get a lot of replies telling you to get nvidia, because they are so much better. Ignore em :) :)

3. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I'm going to second Gulo's opinion. If you have the money definitely go for the 5870 but the step down to the 5850 isn't a bad choice either. Where money was an issue with me building my current rig I chose his "third" alternative the 5770 (as it appears to be in the sweet spot for pricing right now) and have not regretted my decesion for a second even having it paired with a 20" HD monitor I'm playing games like Fallout3, Bioshock and Dragon Age. All running maxed out in my native resolution (1920x1080) without so much as a hic up

4. preachp

preachp

Hi iansweb,

I just put a Visiontek 5850 into a CaMA-790XT-ud4p Mobo with a 955 balck edition and it kicked it up from 11850 on 3DMark06 to 17000. The board is awesome. It uses considerably less power and cost was around $310 for the board.
    IF you can a fford it I would suggest the 5850. BTW Yes the 5870 has a faster rambus and gpou clock speed also there are more shaders (1600 vs 1440) on the 5870. But ATI overdrive allows for reference boards to be oc'd to 775 for the core and 1125 for the rambus.
    In any case have fun and enjoy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice