ATi 9600 XT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AP2006

Hi
I telephoned the company I bought my PC iff due to the faulty graphics card - ATI 9600. They told me that they can send me a new graphics card called ATI 9600 XT. Is ATI 9600 XT any good or should I ask for another make or model???

Thanks

Well the 9600 xt is better than the vanilla 9600 but by no means is it top of the line.

Well you can ask. If this is something under warranty, they just have to replace the card with one of equal value which they are doing. And as wingfoot points out the XT is a better card.

The 9600 isn't a bad card either, my 2500 system with the 9600 runs Doom 3 pretty darn good.

AP2006

Well when my brother plays a game for example the movies or age of empires 3 the computer switches off and restarts.This also happens when I use MS Word 2003.

If you're computer restarts while you are on MS Word 2003, then I don't think that will be resolved by replacing the video card. :( Word has nothing to do with the video card.

I read your other thread and the screenshot that you posted in it. Underneath were the contents of a BSoD but since your computer restarts, you can't see the contents of the blue screen error.

You can disable automatic restart if you want. I'm going off by memory here- Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings, uncheck Automatically Restart. You're computer will now get a blue screen of death (BSoD) and you can write the error code down before you have to manually hold down the power button and reboot the computer.

If you were getting graphical corruptions or something, then I'd point to the video card. I'd be looking at power supply issues or overheating in this case.

AP2006

OK I received a blue screen of death and here are the details of what it contained:
win32k.sys
page fault in non paged area
tech info
**stop:0x00000050 (0xaa92cba3,0x00000001,0xbf822f91,0x00000000)
i am not sure if this is in order of how the blue screen of death appeared.I done a Windows Memory Diagnostic check because I searched win32k.sys on the net and found out it was to do with the RAM.The Memory Diagnostic check failed on stride 6.I then telephoned the compnay and I told them this screen came up and they said take one RAM out and then see how the PC worked and do the same with the other RAM.The PC worked fine and nothing went wrong. But later on I received the problem agian when my borther played the movies and also when I was doing my school work on word :-(

That definitely sounds like a RAM issue then and replacing the video card won't do any good.

Your last couple sentences were a little hard to understand. Your RAM failed MemTest. You took the RAM out as per your instructions and then it worked for a little but failed again?

Have you narrowed it down to which stick of RAM it was or did it happen to both? I think this thread should be renamed from ATI 9600XT to "Is my RAM bad?".

The applications you are running, plus the results of the MemTest, indicate that there is nothing wrong with your video card but you have bad RAM (ie. Microsoft Word = RAM, not video card).

AP2006

I received another BSOD when i was converting a movie file to burn onto a DVD-RW, and the BSOD appeared this time it said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. My brother experienced this one.

There also was another BSOD that came up.This time it happened when I was using my flash drive (Kingston Data Traveller II) to do some work on Word 2003. It said something like usb or something.

Whenever I submit an error report I send it to the Microsoft Online Crash Analysis I get taken to this page:
https://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SID=10

Have you gone the driver route and updated everything to see if that helps?

I still think it's a RAM issue.

AP2006

I have installed the drivers that came with the PC (pc still went off), the ATI Radeon 9600 drivers from the ATI website - I couldn't install these because some error message came up and the other driver I installed was the radeon omega dirvers and still my PC switches off. I tried installing these through safe mode.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts