1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI AIW 9800 Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmoyers, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmoyers

dmoyers Thread Starter

I was trying to clear-up a problem with the above stated card. The sound was absent when viewing TV via the capture card, but all other sound functions work as normal. So, I decided to get the latest drivers (6.3 > 8.3). Well, everything went to hell and I'm preparing to reload the operating system (XP Pro SP2). Should I upgrade these drivers, or go back to the original drivers provided on the CD? I may have caused the conflicts by not un-installing the earlier version before loading the latest. I was hoping that newer software dwelt with somewhat common thread of "no sound" with this series of cards while watching TV. Lots of postings throughout the web, but no hard fast solutions.

Thanks in Advance, dm

Intel P4 3.2g 400mh fsb
    Intel MB DP...?
    2 gigs of Corsair ram running in dual-channel mode
    XP Pro SP2 with all the latest up-dates

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I have the same card and have had issues with newer drivers; if finally reverted to version 6.5. Occasionally I will have the TV no sound problem, but sound works otherwise. Reinstalling my Realtek AC97 sound drivers fixes the problem.

If you decide to go back to the original drivers, uninstall the current drivers in XP then use the ATI uninstall utility to get rid of more traces of the current driver.

3. dmoyers

dmoyers Thread Starter

Thanks, I was leaning towards using the old drivers because everything has been so stable up until this audio problem. I reformating anyway, which will get rid of all leftovers. It was time, and I have two hard drives. One with a 40g partition just for the OS. If I can find one locally, I'm thinking of trying a WD 150g 10,000 rpm drives.

dm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice