1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro TV Output not scaled properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dquixote, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dquixote

dquixote Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I just recently purchased an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800pro 128mb and the installation went smoothly, however I am having trouble with my TV out. I get an image on the television, but the image is too large to fit on the screen. I need to pan around with the mouse to view the entire image. Can someone point me in the right direction before I need to phone ATI? I'm having trouble registering, so I'm not sure if I will be able to get support.
    Also, as a side question, when I boot into Linux Mandrake on a second drive, it fails to find any display. I cannot get into the GUI. Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help.

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Check the ATI help - I did a search on TV Screen Size and came up with this:

To adjust your TV screen size

1 Click here to view Display Properties at the Settings tab.
    2 Click the Advanced button.
    3 Click the Displays tab.
    If you are running an extended desktop, you must first select the video adapter whose display properties you want to change. Click here for more information.
    4 Click the TV button.
    Your TV must be enabled before you can change its display properties. Click here for more information.

5 Click the Adjustment tab.
    6 Click the (+) and (-) buttons in the Vertical/Horizontal Screen area to change your screen size.
    The (+) and (-) buttons under Vertical Screen increase/decrease the vertical size of your TV display.

The (+) and (-) buttons under Horizontal Screen increase/decrease the horizontal size of your TV.

7 Click OK or Apply to save the changes you have made.

Note

Size controls are not available if you have both a monitor and TV enabled.

ATI Desktop Help for Windows 98, © ATI Technologies Inc., Version H6.01

Hope this helps,

MBN

PS Can't really answer your "side" question, but I do wonder if your previous graphics were onboard, did you disable them?

3. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe its not possible to display more than 800*600 pixels ore even less on a TV.
    What windows does is indeed pan the screen to display it on your TV.

4. dquixote

dquixote Thread Starter

Thank you for the tip, but I tried changing the size of the display already. I followed those directions the other day and the only thing it does is adjust the size of the "viewing window" on the television screen. I still need to pan around the image. The resolution settings I have for the 2nd display is 640 x 480 at 8-bits color. But when I look at the ATI display settings in the advanced section it still appears as 1024 x 768 and there is nowhere to change it.
    arg :mad:

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I seem to remember reading this somewhere too. Lets see now, where did I read that at...

OH YES..PAGE 30 of the owners manual !:p

You may also find it hard to read text on the TV. This is because TV uses a totally different technology then PC's do. The best way to get around it is to make the fonts larger ;)

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Is this hooked up to a TV and monitor at the same time, or are you talking about Multview?

7. dquixote

dquixote Thread Starter

Yes, it is hooked up to a tv and monitor. I have tried setting it up to swap displays with a hotkey, but I still can't manage to figure out how to scale the image size down.

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

That's odd. Usually the TV screen size is smaller, and you're saying it's too big on the TV right?

What kind of TV is it?

9. dquixote

dquixote Thread Starter

yup. it's too big and i need to pan around the desktop with the mouse. When I try playing a game it just cuts off part of the image.

10. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

In your VGA Advanced settings , have you tryed selecting "Generic Television" on the Monitor tab ?
    Need to update the Monitor drivers (is not the same as VGA card drivers)

11. dquixote

dquixote Thread Starter

in advanced settings, i click on default monitor, which is my TV, because my only other option is my NEC monitor which appears second on the list, then I click properties and it show a few options like "Update Driver" or "Rollback driver". When I choose update it tells me it can't find a better driver. can you give me a link to where I can find the driver for television display? thanks. I will try it.

12. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

During that process , you probably have selected "Search for a suitable driver for my device" instead of "Display a list of known drivers for this device"
    Try the later & press next ,
    select "Show all hardware of this device class" ,
    select "(Standard monitor types)" in the left part of the window ,
    & "Generic Television" in the right part.

Good luck (y)

13. dquixote

dquixote Thread Starter

ok, i followed your instructions and managed to change it from "default monitor" to "generic television" , but it has not changed anything. I still need to pan aound the screen.

14. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

For the "Generic Television" can you adjust the "Screen area" to 800*600 or 640*480 pixels in the Display Properties ?
    All higher settings will make your desktop panned.

15. dquixote

dquixote Thread Starter

please see post #4. :)
    it cannot be set to any other resolution or color depth, but in the advanced ATI display settings the second "monitor" appears as 1024*768. I cannot change it from that menu.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!