1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI card basic install questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KJOKE, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJOKE

KJOKE Thread Starter

I'm curently reinstalling Windows XP and am now looking into installing the drivers and software for the ATI video card. I always try to search through the FAQ's as well as the release notesand online documentation - but I still have a few questions.

The card is an "All-in-Wonder Radeon AGP". A 7200 version.
    The CD that came with it only has the Win98 and WinMe installation files.

I just want to be sure that I'm going about this the proper way. I've downloaded the latest drivers and files for Windows XP [ver 3.8 - (Display Driver,Control Panel,WDM Capture driver)]. According the the readme the Radeon 7200 is supported

Are these downloads enough to get everything up-to-date? Or will I be needing the original install cd for anything?
    Also, according to the installation instructions - I am supposed to Uninstall the ATI Display Driver before rebooting and beginning the install. Looking at the Device Manager the current drivers I have on my system are located under: Display Adapters/All-in-Wonder Radeon AGP (device type: Display Adapters) (driver file details: All-in-Wonder Radeon AGP c:\windows\system32\drivers\atimtag.sys) *** Is this the right DRIVER to UNINSTALL????

I've also noticed ATI references under "Sound, Video and game controllers" in The Device Manager area. Are these also to be removed before doing these ati driver installs??

I think I'm doing it right... am I missing anything?

2. John Denow

John Denow

At the time I installed my ATI card (All-in-Wonder 7500), I had 30 days of free tech help. The technician directed me to the ATI web site and had me load all the current drivers from them.

She then had me go to the area you are speaking of in device manager and remove all mentions of ATI. I was then told to reboot, let things be redetected, and then load the "newer" drivers.

My card required the drivers to be loaded in a particualr order. Some required me to reboot before continuing..others did not.

The site (www.ati.com) is not the easiest to navigate. Go to their home page and do a search for "drivers" and see if anything there helps.

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

My experience with ATI cards and as it pertains to ur case... u have to uninstall the current ATI display drv thru add/remv programs. When the pc reboots Windows prompt you to install a driver for, "Standard Display Adapter". My experience with ati is that u must have the Standard VGA Display Adapter installed 1st, befor installing the new drv's for ur "All in Wonder".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice