1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI Catalyst Beta Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by aude.scire, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aude.scire

aude.scire Thread Starter

Ok, so I have taken the big leap of faith in Microsoft and put Vista on one of my systems. After regretting the decision nearly immediately, I opted to just duke it out with my overloaded computer and try to get this to run. I have searched through numerous tech help forums looking for references to the ATI drivers, and it seems that everyone is able to get their graphics card to run. I found my card on a list of Vista supported cards, and downloaded the Vista drivers from the ATI website. After some minimal problems getting the drivers installed, and a reinstall just for luck (although the installer informed me that everything was up to date and running), I am still exactly where I started - without my Radeon. I can't even get the Catalyst Control Panel to open from my desktop (I double click the icon, or right click to Open, or go straight from the program file, and it basically just sits and blinks at me). The kicker is that of the numerous ATI programs in my Installed programs list, Catalyst is listed absolutely nowhere. Any suggestions?

Quick run down on specs:

Vista Beta 2 Build 5384
    AMD Sempron 2.0 GHz 80 GB
    512 MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 All-In-Wonder
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Have you tried a full uninstall and shutdown and reinstall or just over the top? Also have you tried all 3 of there Vista drivers? they have 2 older drivers that may yield better luck than their current Beta drivers.

3. aude.scire

aude.scire Thread Starter

I tried to just install it over the top, and when that obviously didnt work, I tried to fully uninstall, but my computer won't let me uninstall the existing ATI drivers, and I have just discovered that the new versions are not coming into use. To my knowledge I have only used one version of the Vista drivers, as it was all I could find.

4. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

You might want to try just reformatting and reinstalling Vista if you still have the disc. Vista should install drivers for you card automatically (not Catalyst drivers). This worked for me, but I have also downloaded Catalyst drivers and they work fine also. Make sure you are downloading the right drivers (x86 or x64) for your version of Vista.

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I have had the same experience with ATI drivers as Eriksrocks. 5270 was a disaster. 5384 worked perfectly with the Beta 2 release (5384.4) 5456, which I am at present using, doesnt want to know anything about ATI drivers, but does load a decent driver of its own. It has absolutely no facilities for fine adjustment however. I have, to my astonishment, received a suggestion after a query ( first reply ever!) as to how I could add an entry to regedit. Ill try it out and if it works, post it here. My card by the way is a 9600 pro

6. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Currently I'm running 5384/Beta 2 and I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro, and yeah, both the Vista drivers and the Catalyst ones worked just fine like I said before. :)

Uh... What do you mean by that and how would that help aude.scire? :eek:

7. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I was supposed to add an entry to regedit, which would allow Catalyst to install in 5456 - it was a disaster!
    P.S. Cancel that, I just had another go at installing the ATI Beta drivers in 5456 - they are now working perfectly. The wonders of Beta issues! So, for the cynics, I now have all my old XP software and hardware running in Vista, no BSOD,s, no hang ups.

8. gurutech

gurutech

I have the same video card - RADEON 9600 AIW. Is yours AGP or PCI? Were you able to get the TV tuner part to work?

9. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Yeah, that's odd. But good thing it works. :D (y)

10. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Sorry cant help you there as I dont use it. But the facility is there to be checked off ??

11. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I,ll tell you something else thats odd Erik. I have now had to reinstall four times (faults on my part - not Vista) I have used exactly the same procedures, and applied some of that stuff in my "fine tune" doc. Each time I have finished up with different facilities or "mode d,employ" Weird weird. (Feedback gone into MS)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice