1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI Catalyst Drivers won't install :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pjlambo, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjlambo

pjlambo Thread Starter

I have a Radeon 5850 installed in my desktop and my laptop has a 5650 card. The catalyst driver suite installs without a hitch on my laptop which is running Windows 7 HP (x64) but when I try to install the latest or previous versions of the same driver suite on my desktop which is running Windows 7 Ultimate (x32) the installation mentions errors and in the log it states the driver has not installed. In order to install the drivers I have to do it manually through device manager. I have used Driver Sweeper to erase all traces of the old driver files inside safe mode. I always uninstall my old drivers before putting in the new versions. Anyone know what is going on here and how to fix it?

2. 5ndr5

5ndr5

Ok, firstly, alarm bells started ringing when i noticed that one device (laptop/pc) is 32bit, and the other 64bit. If you are using the same instal file on both machines, thats probably the problem!

If I'm reading that wrong, then sorry.

What I would do is firstly try the manufacturers website of your graphics cards for the latest drivers. If not, try windows update. If not, did you have drivers with the pc/laptop? If not, run dxdiag, save all info to text file and upload here for me to see.

Thanks

3. pjlambo

pjlambo Thread Starter

Ok to clarify, I have a laptop that is running on Windows 7 (64-bit) with a 5650 HD Radeon (1 GB) Mobility video card. I don't have any problems uninstalling older Catalyst software and drivers and replacing it with a new version. The problem I have affects my Desktop PC which is running Windows 7 (32-bit). Both computers use the same 5000 driver series that I obtain off the AMD/ATI driver site and the video card in my desktop is a 5850 HD Radeon (1 GB). If I try to install a newer version of the Catalyst suite on my desktop, I get an error report that states the video driver failed to install. The rest of the software installs fine. To get around this I have to download just the driver file and install it that way or do it manually through device manager. I just don't understand why the installation works perfectly fine on my laptop but not on my desktop. I have tried installing older drivers and software but the same problem occurs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice