1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ati Drivers....Lynch help?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Hardegg, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

I need help loading ATI Drivers on my system.
    It won't take the one from ATI's site........unless I'm doing something wrong.
    Which is very likley
    I am running A Radeon 9700 Pro
    and Red HAt 8.0

Anybody help me out?

Lynch I saw where you posted that you use ATI cards.
    Any advice would be welcome

2. lynch

lynch

Yes I do,but I havent tried the 9700 Pro-not in my budget:( I run cards with the Rage128 Pro and Radeon drivers that come with the SuSE distros I use.Post a link to the ATI site you got the drivers from and I can at least take a look:)
    I see from your other post that you got the GUI back up without having to take drastic measures:D so has the issue been solved to your satisfaction?Linux and that kind of gaming is not my forte:not a big gamer;) But I will try to help if I can.
    lynch

3. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Ok I am figuring this out a little at a time.
    I have made several attempts to use Linux over the last couple of years but had little luck, mostly cause of lack of time.
    This time I didn't even setup a dual boot system. So it's make it work or bust:)

I accidently found and configured the XF86Config file from command promt to reload my vesa card drivers to get GUI back.
    I thought that was pretty good for a noob:)
    Also I was able to fianlly load the driver from ATI about midnight lastnight.
    It does launch the game now but it is still unplayable
    So I don't know if the open GL is setup right yet and the sound was messed up but, but the sound works fine outside of game.
    Thanks for the tip to post to ATI.....don't know why I didn't think of that.

4. lynch

lynch

Linux can be quite non-intuitive sometimes so I'd say what you've done so far is good for a newbie.
    :D I meant post a link here so I can look at the ATI site without searching all over the place.Thier website can get you lost at times.:D
    I can check a couple places where maybe someone has had some luck with this card in Linux.Will let you know.
    lynch

5. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Yea I see what you mean. I wandered around ATI's site for a bit and couldn't find a forum link.
    I am going to try a couple of things like disable sound and see if that helps also I found some better installation directions on their site so I am going to try them now.
    What I really would like to know is a test program to see if things are working right.
    Also, how do I tell how much space is left on my hardrive?

I know i'm not low I just don't know how to find out :)

6. lynch

lynch

If you set up X in Red Hat try using Xconfigurator-it should ask you if you want to test the new settings.
    In a terminal,type this:
    df -h
    And it will tell you what you have left on the hdd.
    OK,I found them.Did you read the release notes?There seems to be a library that needs replacing for RH 8.I copied the relevant section:
    HTH
    lynch

7. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Man I didn't expect you to spend much time looking this up for me but thanks.

I did see that and tried it already....but do I need to be in iny certain directory for it to work?
    It doesn't say anything about that.

I ran that command line again just now and I got this message
    "error: package XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72 is not installed
    error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm"

Does that mean I succsefully did it before?:confused:

I also found where it might be the Wfree isn't compatable with the Radeon 9700 Pro until 4.3.0 is released....soon.
    I dunno

I'm not really playing many games right now so I can wait I just like useing them as a benchmark.

Oh and thanks for info on hardrive space, That worked just fine.
    Once again Lynch thanks for all your effort.

I am up until about 1 or 2 am each night trying to sort this out:)

8. lynch

lynch

I assume you tried the rpm -e XFree86-Mesa-libGL##.rpm.
    The rpm command should work regardless of what directory your currently in-and being root too,which you are as you do get feedback from rpm saying it's not installed.What else did you try?
    I dont mind spending a little time searching around for stuff if it's ultimately helpful:) I learn quite a bit of stuff doing that because in the course of looking around,I run up on info I wasnt aware of.:D
    Good luck with your efforts.
    lynch

9. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Ok now I am maybe not typing in correct command. I only have a few minutes before going to work but here is what I can tell you right now.

I followed the ATI docmuntation that you found prior to yesterday I printed out 23 pages from their website.

I do have a question, This is the exact command I typed in:
    rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72

Is that complete? I did'nt do anything with rpm at the end

That is what brought up the errors
    however I was not in root though I think I was su

On my initial attempts to install driver I was in root

This is hard without watching someone do it first :)

P.S. don't assume anything about what I have tried:cool:
    No I didn't try: rpm -e XFree86-Mesa-libGL##.rpm.

What belongs in the pound signs?
    Unfortunatly being Friday I prolly won't have much time to get on today and try things.

10. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Lynch on more thing I wanted to post before work.
    When I said I didn't do anything wit rpm extension that excluded the driver install
    When I did the driver install I then ran the fglrxconfig to seit it up.

I also got an error message stating that 3d open gl would not funtion for some reason I didn't write down. But that 2D would which I do notice a differance there in 2D.

I just don't have open GL functioning.
    I will post a complete description of what I have done as soon as I get a chance but today looks to be at least a 16 hour day before I am done:(

11. lynch

lynch

Yeah,you need to put the rpm extension on that command:
    rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72.rpm
    That's probably all you needed.I hope.
    The "##" in my example was me forgetting what the version number was on that file.Sorry.;)
    3D is still in the development stages with XWindows and is considered experimental so you'll see some messages like that as you install Linux on different setups.
    In SuSE whenever I configure X with the SaX2 utility,it will always warn me about that.:rolleyes:
    Oh,well.Hope you dont get too worn out working those long hours;)
    lynch

12. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Well cool for now untill I can figure out the open GL a little better

However.
    What if anything do you know about this product that is supposed to replace XFree for 3D acceleration? http://www.xig.com/

It has a cost but the salesman says it works real good
    ;)

However it still doesn't list Radeon 9700 as supported.

Maybe I should move on to getting this to network with a windows comp??

Yes work is very hectic right now I prolly could have picked a better time to install Linux:D

13. lynch

lynch

Thanks for the link.I have heard about X Accelerator but never felt the need to try it.I have heard that it is a good product,though.
    lynch

14. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Thanks for all the time.
    I don't want to burn you out on trying to help me. I am going to try the Xaccelerator package.
    But I am going to start a new thread.
    Please feel free to post I just feel that I have dominated you with this.
    I really do appreciate your efforts trying to help this newb
    :)

15. lynch

lynch

NP:)
    I always figure it's me who draws out other peoples threads:D
    lynch

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!