1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamesgray30, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamesgray30

jamesgray30 Thread Starter

hi, since my nvidia graphics card decided to die, i tried my brothers ATI card. the problem is that when i turn the PC on, i get a message saying that some power supply to the card isnt connected. i know the problem, but my computer doesnt have a power lead that will connect to the graphics card. are all ATI cards like this as im about to buy a new ATI card?
    thanks James

2. avengeda7x

avengeda7x

what connector is it your ati card requires..? you can usually buy cables that convert you average 4pin molex connector from you power supply into the suitable connector.

3. bats2jm

bats2jm

No they all dont just the mid to high end ones.

4. avengeda7x

avengeda7x

right ok what card are you looking to be getting..?
    and what power supply do you have..?

5. jamesgray30

6. badders

badders

The graphics card is quite weak, yeah!
    Th 9250 doesn't require an extra power supply - it doesn't have enough processing power to take any more.

7. jamesgray30

thanks, is the graphics card decent for £30 or are there any other cards that are better for the same money?

8. badders

badders

To be honest, if that's your budget, then you're probably better off getting a radeon 9800 pro or something from eBay.
    If you game at all, the 9250 is not for you.
    I had one, and it performed worse than the onboard chipset I had.
    When I upgraded the machine to vista, the 9250 couldn't take the aero interface. I got a 9800 Pro 256Mb from eBay for £30. This was about 6 months ago, so they're probably even cheaper now.

9. jamesgray30

10. badders

badders

What will you be using it for, if I might ask?

11. jamesgray30

just mainly low-spec games such as bf1942 and CS:Condition Zero. Maybe the odd newer game like bf2142. some image editing. i dont think a high end graphics card is required.

12. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

If you are going to play a new game like BF2142, I strongly suggest a newer card. The ATI Radeon 9500 is the minimum card in the ATI series that can play it. The 9550 you were looking at will just barely cut it.

Personally, I have had terrible experiences with ATI video cards, and I strongly suggest an nVIDIA card. The GeForce FX 5700 is the minimum card in the nVIDIA series that can play 2142.

I used to have one of these, and I loved it. It is a bit more expensive, but it is worth it (About 35 Euros, I think. The site I linked to is in American dollars, but you can definitely find this card in one of your European retailers or websites).

13. badders

badders

14. jamesgray30

question about the link to that graphics card. would this run on a 200W power supply? i think the card i just received(sapphire radeon 9550 256mb) doesnt as when i installed it all i have is a black screen when i turn the pc on.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice