1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI graphics driver

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Dreddnaut, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

I just downloaded the driver for my ATI GPU. Trying to install it is proving to be a minor problem. It appears to install, but the display is the same as the default driver used prior to the ATI driver. I've had this problem with every single ATI card I've used and when a friend has fixed, I forget to follow along so I can do it myself. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. However, this happened when I was running XP as well. Any thoughts and/or similar problems out there?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Control Panel - Device Manager.

Click the + in Display Adapters

What's the exact description of the device?

Double-click that device to open its properties window.

Select the "Driver" tab.

What's the driver date and driver version?

--------------------------------------------------------------

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of your computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

The computer is a self-built machine. I had someone do some backup work on this for me and when he reinstalled Windows, he only installed the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". Should I uninstall or disable it, then run the ATI installer?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If Windows was reinstalled in that computer and the driver for the graphics device was not installed, the computer is currently running in VGA mode.

If you know the description of the ATI graphics device in that computer, you need to install the driver for it.

As long as that computer is running in VGA mode, the resolution settings will be very limited and the display quality will be bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

I have run the .exe that I downloaded but after it's done its thing, it just does nothing. How do I go from VGA mode to the GPU? Yes, the display is fairly horrible.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    First you need to identify which ATI/AMD graphics card/chip you have, then you need to get the correct driver. You need to tell us something about your computer, a make and model number would go a long way.

Also, run the TSG System Information Utility: http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links and post your computer specs.

7. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

My computer is a self-built system. Here is my system info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 4 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 849430 MB; F: Total - 131061 MB, Free - 6218 MB;
    Motherboard: , AM2NF3-VSTA
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I may not have been clear in my symptom description. I downloaded the proper driver for my video card and launched the installer. It went through its process and when it was "done", it just kind of did nothing. No error or anything, it just didn't "work". I checked in the Device Manager and saw that the video driver is "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and running properly. I ran the launcher again, with the same result - no error but not working. The current display is pretty crappy, as one would expect. My question is, "How do I go from the VGA to the ATI driver?" As a side note, this same problem happened to me when I was using this computer but with XP Home. I had a friend help me and it was quite the work around to get the driver working. I just didn't pay attention to what he did, so I could do it myself in the future, if needed.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You first have to identify which ATI/AMD graphics card you have. If you look at the physical card, are there any markings or model numbers on it?

9. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

This is my video card:

HIS H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, AGP, DVI, VGA, HDMI

I may try from the original driver CD, unless there's just something silly that I'm missing.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

I have already downloaded that file. And, ran the installer.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

I tried the link you suggested and went through the entire process. This worked.. So, thank you all.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Great, I'd jot down or bookmark and backup up the link for future reference. Also, this is why we wanted to know the exact make amd model of the card, some cards are slightly different and will not work with the generic AMD(or Nvidia drivers) as is the case with most laptop GPU's.

15. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

Thanks again. However, now I'm getting a "Code 43" error, card isn't getting recognized. Weird thing is, the resolution is now much better and I have more options when I go to set it. Dxdiag shows nothing in the "Display" tab, whereas before it showed the VGA mode. But, that's for another thread

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice