1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI HD 2600 XT AGP shows image once I got it, never since

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aqg6, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

I recently bought an ATI HD 2600 XT AGP version to complement a former Windows XP machine that I had in the past, I haven't touched the PC for years.

The day I received the graphics card I slotted it in and it did show on the monitor as it booted, culminating in "Bad checksum!". Since I did not had the time to proceed to address this or to format and reinstall XP on the machine, I shut it down and let it be until I had the chance.

Today I turned it on and the image never appears on the monitor either on VGA or on DVI, not after reinserting the card, removing and reapplying the board's battery, etc. What could possibly be the problem?

It's strange because the original graphics card on this pc, an ATI 9600 Pro also showed image the first time I turned the pc on after all these years, and never did it since also, and I bought this one for that reason...

Thank you for all your help and replies!

2. kenbok51

kenbok51

Check the battery for voltage. If it's dead, putting it back would do nothing. The PC power supply keeps that button battery charged even if the PC is asleep or shut off. Only unplugging the PC from the wall for any length of time will cause the battery to die. It might recharge if you leave the PC plugged into the wall for a day or two. Do you have a volt ohm meter? If I put a PC into storage for any length of time I always remove the battery and tape onto the inside of the door.

3. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

I don't have a volt ohm meter, but I can replace the battery, should be cheap right?

If it doesn't solve anything, would there be any other common possibility?

4. kenbok51

kenbok51

Sure, it's always nice to have a spare. That message "Bad checksum!" is usually associated with the battery not reporting the correct information in the bios since a dead battery would reset the bios to defaults (same as resetting the cmos on the motherboard). I think the check sum has something to do with RAM but once the battery dies it cannot keep the proper settings in the bios. If the new battery dosen't do the trick check your memory sticks. If you have more than one you can try each one by itself in the first slot to see if one of the sticks is causing issues.

5. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reply, it booted right away with only one memory stick.

I also bought a new SATA disk but I can't seem to make the pc recognise it, I plugged in the SATA cable on the board and the power black head cable on the disk... If it's not asking too much, could you please tell me how Î can figure out if it's even getting power?

6. kenbok51

kenbok51

It's an XP machine. XP itself does not have sata drivers incorporated in the OS as does Win 7 that came later. When first installing XP from a OS disk, one of the first things it asks of you is to press F6 to load sata drivers. That of course is necessary if your loading the XP OS onto a sata drive. If you want to use a sata drive as a secondary disk with your C drive as a pata disk you can visit the hard drive manufacturers site to download XP drivers for it. There is the problem of what sata you bought. There are sata 1.5 sata 2.0 sata 3 (6gbs per sec.). Sata 1.5 was the first introduced and sata 2.0 had a jumper so you could use it as sata 1.5 I'm unsure about sata 3.0 since I never installed one on to XP. XP also had a partition size limit which I believe was around 137gig that could be patched for larger drives. Check out this page for jumper info and other junk.
    https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?h=p1&ID=981&lang=en&p=608

7. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Hello,

It is indeed a SATA 3.0 drive. It's the only hard drive on the pc, and I am trying to get it recognised so I can install XP on it and use it as the main and only hard drive. I won't need to create partitions, only for the 500GB to be fully recognised...

I was indeed told to try applying a jumper to dumb it down it to 1.5GBs, but it didn't work. I used a very old jumper I found but they shouldn't differ from the most recent ones right? So the problem may be elsewhere. Do you think the drivers might solve it? If I am using the CD drive for the OS CD, how do I apply the drivers if I find them?

8. kenbok51

kenbok51

Unless your machine has a working floppy disk your out of luck. When the first motherboards came out with sata 1.5 capability the box the board came in included sata driver floppies for XP. And while installing XP and trying to load sata drivers (press F6 to load sata drivers), stupid XP only looked at the A drive and didn't allow you to change the location for the drivers (usb cdrom or whatever wouldn't work). Man are you going to get a headache! I'm sure it's possible, you might try a google search with specific questions. Something like "Installing Windows XP to a Sata 3.0 drive with no working floppy drive in the PC". Assuming you have no floppy of course. You might also consider trying to get help from the drive manufacturer since they would be the ones to direct you to the correct drivers if they even make them for XP any more.

9. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

No floppy drive, guess I'll just apply this disk drive on my main pc and acquire another one!

Will all of these issues I'm getting the urge to escape them and just buy a 320GB IDE drive or 500GB, will XP fully recognise the whole disk size? Are there limits if I create partitions? Thanks for your help and patience

10. kenbok51

kenbok51

If I remember correctly there was a patch for XP SP1 or SP0 to raise the partition capacity. When you install XP to a 500gig Pata drive (IDE) it might not recognize the entire drive until you patch it. But I believe that with XP SP3 that was taken care of (I don't know about SP2). So if your Install disk is SP3 or has had SP3 integrated you should be OK as well as installing a lower XP SP version and then installing SP3 afterwords.. I have seen remarks about others that have made XP recognize up to 1TB but I have never tried it. What I would do is to leave the drive as one partition, patch to SP3 if necessary and then the drives full capacity should be recognized. Once installed you can then use your Sata drive as a secondary large storage drive since you will be able once in the OS to install the driver for the Sata drive. The problem with getting the OS on the Sata will be mute but you may have to partition it for full recognition.

Actually I prefer to have my OS on a smaller drive for reasons of backups and fragmentation tasks. I actually install many of my applications to the secondary drive to help keep my C drive as small as possible. Firewall, antivirus as well as any backup programs I would install to C but games and many applications would go to E. All you have to do is on the E (Sata drive assuming you get it to work) make a folder called Program Files. Then when Installing something and you want it on E, just change the path in the installer from C to E and your good to go since E now has a Program Files folder too. Be aware though some programs will only install to C and will not let you change the path.

11. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for everything, the install disk is SP3, will do! Looking forward to recover my old XP machine. Recently completed configuring a Pentium III to contain my whole gaming/program history from DOS to about 2003, so I'm pretty excited to finally be able to complete it from 2003 to about 2008 with the XP machine, hence the biggest disk possible that I meant to apply. Thanks!

12. kenbok51

kenbok51

I should mention the obvious though. Windows 7, although soon to go the same route as XP, is a logical choice for you if you can afford it (OEM versions are the cheapest but are locked to just one PC). It will remove many of the problems your having with Sata drivers and capacity. Believe it or not I prefer XP over Win 7. Win 7 removed much of the cool things that were part of XP. For instance, did you know XP professional had a function called a non-destructive reinstall that would replace all the system files from your install disk back to the OS without damaging or changing any of your programs. The downside was you would loose all of your critical updates in the process that were not integrated to your install disk.

13. kenbok51

kenbok51

Just for your info, if your XP SP3 is the professional version and at some date in the future you want to do a non-destructive reinstall this is how it goes (XP home didn't have this function I believe). You run the install disk from a boot up and just skip over the first mention of repair (recovery console will over write the entire disk from there). Just continue as if you were going to do a fresh install. At a certain point during the initial installation (I believe its soon after you press F8) it will scan the C drive, see there is an OS already there and ask a second time if you want to repair. That is the non-destructive repair. But be prepared to re-acquire all your critical updates especially if your still using XP online. Even with SP3 the critical updates will blow you away. I think there are almost 260 of them, Whoa!

14. aqg6

aqg6 Thread Starter

Whoa indeed, had no idea about that. I love Windows 7, it's the OS of my main pc. I want to install XP on the machine that I mentioned because that's the OS that I used on it when I first acquired it, and thus the OS in which I played the games that I used to in the 2000 something - 2008 period. So if it all goes well I will have the PIII, the XP machine, and my main pc with Windows 7, and when I can afford it I will build a new desktop from scratch, and keep the Windows 7 pc to remember the 2008-2018 (?) period. I stopped playing new games around 2015 so it should go a bit further still!

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not need a floppy disk to install the mass storage driver or sata driver. There are two options;
    1 Set the sata controller to legacy mode ie NOT ahci or raid. XP setup will now recognize the drive
    2 Better option. Slipstream the sata drivers for your motherboard into a custom install disk. In order to do this, you need a program like nLite;
    https://www.nliteos.com/
    I used to do this very often for both win2k and xp [slipstream raid drivers] Somewhere I have detailed instructions for creating a slipstreamed install disk. Post back if you need them and I will attempt to find the instructions. It has been so long since I did this that trying to tell you from memory would probably leave out a step or two.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice