ATI HD 2600 XT AGP - Windows XP drivers won't install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aqg6

Hello everyone,

I encountered a problem with my ATI HD 2600 XT AGP regarding drivers.

I noticed that the drivers weren't installing in the ATI Install Manager, only the Catalyst Center. On the error log, it said: "The driver package is not signed". I tried to work a turnaround via the Device Manager, but when I ask for myself to indicate the driver, it prompts me to a list of ATI graphic cards to choose from, instead of being able to just go get the driver file. My model is not on that list that Windows XP provided.

Upon further research, I discovered that the drivers weren't installing for many people with this specific model in the past, but I can't get to any solutions because the links I found for them are dead (2008 forums and such).

Is there something I can do or am I stuck with an unusable graphics card?...

Thank you for all your help and replies!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP graphic card was introduced in 2007, and it supports Windows XP and Windows Vista and Windows 7.

You haven't provided any information about your computer, so you're making difficult for someone here to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

aqg6

The ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP graphic card was introduced in 2007, and it supports Windows XP and Windows Vista and Windows 7.

You haven't provided any information about your computer, so you're making difficult for someone here to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------
So sorry, it's kind of late where I am!

The PC is an old XP machine that I was trying to recover:

AMD Sempron 2800+ Processor
Asus K8V-X motherboard

aqg6

Hello,

From my latest research it seems it is a somewhat known issue with AGP ATI cards. Apparently ATI told Sapphire and others not to produce anymore AGP cards at the time, which they did anyway. So there was a period when ATI was trying to catch up to cards which weren't ordered for production. This one I have by Sapphire has a hotfix and supposedly it works in Windows 7, but I have been having trouble to make the drivers work in Windows XP, the OS of the computer i am trying to rehabilitate: http://www.sapphiretech.com/product...-4FAB-BCB0-BD690D4A91D2&tag=download&lang=eng

Basically using this Hotfix drivers the ATI install manager installs every component aside from the drivers themselves, resulting in the log message: "The driver package is not signed"

In this blog I found almost the same problem, but unlike this guy, I was unable to install the drivers because they are not reconizable by the ATI setup: http://serendipity.ruwenzori.net/in...xt-setup-did-not-recognize-compatible-drivers

But in the comments of this last link, I saw this remark: "you need to “upgrade” the installation files before the setup routine will recognize the AGP drivers.
see here
http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/ati-hd2x00/#details"

The link is dead, of course, but does anyone know what was meant by "upgrading the installation files"?

Do not install the driver through "Setup".
Try to install from "Device Manager" by indicating the * .inf file in the directory in which you unpacked the driver.
When the window pops up saying that the driver is unsigned, select the "Install Anyway" option.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The ASUS K8V-X motherboard has an AGP 8x slot for adding a graphic card.

You would probably have better success with a NVIDIA chip-based graphic card than with an ATI chip-based graphic card.
However, both are difficult to find at a cheap price, and most of them are in used/refurbished condition.

I'll leave you with 123Zbyniek

---------------------------------------------------------------

aqg6

Which driver do you try to install?
At https://support.amd.com/en-us/downl...ws+XP+-+Professional/Home&RenderOnServer=true
is the "Display Driver 8.97.100.7" driver that should match your card.
Install as I wrote above in post # 5.
Here is the information from this driver (this is the x32 version, if you have the x64 system, download the appropriate version for XP):
View attachment 264508
View attachment 264509

View attachment 264510
Hello,

Thank you so much for the help, I will try this right now.

I am sure that it's due to my lack of knowledge, but every time I try in XP to point to a driver it only lets me access to a predetermined list of ATI graphic cards... it never lets me browse for a specific file. I tried to install this, the 12.6 AGP hotfix for Windows XP 32-bit:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/product...-4FAB-BCB0-BD690D4A91D2&tag=download&lang=eng

Last edited:

aqg6

The ASUS K8V-X motherboard has an AGP 8x slot for adding a graphic card.

You would probably have better success with a NVIDIA chip-based graphic card than with an ATI chip-based graphic card.
However, both are difficult to find at a cheap price, and most of them are in used/refurbished condition.

I'll leave you with 123Zbyniek

---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks!

Do not choose a card from the list, but select the driver option "From disk" and indicate the path to the directory where you have unpacked the driver.
See enclosure.

Attachments

aqg6

Do not choose a card from the list, but select the driver option "From disk" and indicate the path to the directory where you have unpacked the driver.
See enclosure.
Thanks, I will try that, in Windows XP it's different but we'll see

aqg6

See enclosure.
Thank you so much, I installed via the .inf file as you said, and then I attempted to install via the catalyst center, even if only to have the catalyst center installed. After the .inf file installed it did identify the drivers in the Catalyst Center, but it didn't install them. However because of the .inf file previously installed, I rebooted and had everything installed, and I am able to change the display options in the Catalyst Center, so I assume everything is ok, right?

If in Device Manager you have data as in post #6 (in red rectangular) then O.K.
I wish you optimal use of the controller in connection with your display / monitor.
P.S.
Personally, I have never used the Catalyst Center because of its size.
I only installed drivers.

aqg6

If in Device Manager you have data as in post #6 (in red rectangular) then O.K.
I wish you optimal use of the controller in connection with your display / monitor.
P.S.
Personally, I have never used the Catalyst Center because of its size.
I only installed drivers.
Thank you for finding the exact driver and for your advice, it really saved me from even more hours of despair trying to make use of the graphics card. I am very grateful to you and all who gave me their input. When you don't know something ask people who do, and it couldn't be more true than this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online