ATI HD4850 Card optical drive question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Infused

I'm thinking about buying this video card ATI Radeon HD4850, and under the sytem requirements it says this

CPU Requirements: CD DVD: Requires an optical drive DVD playback, DVD Drive Blu-ray / HD DVD Drive

Does this mean that the optical drive that I have NEEDS to have Blu-ray or HD DVD capabilities?

No, you don't need BR or HDDVD drive. You don't actually even need a CD or DVD drive if you have an internet connection.

crjdriver

Do make sure you have a quality pw supply. While the specs show a 450W psu as the minimum, I generally like to see something like a 550W unit with a min of 40amp on the combined 12V rail. With a psu, watts mean next to nothing. It is the quality of the unit AND the amps on the 12V rail. With just about everything in a modern system being powered by the 12V, having a lot of watts on the 5V or 3.3V is just about useless.

Infused

Thanks for the tip crj, I was always wondering what amperage to pay attention too. With the purchase of the card, I also plan on buying a new powersupply, probably a corsair 550W

That's good, I almost edited my post yesterday to mention about the power supply, but just didn't do it. Notice that if you don't get the Corsair, some PSUs have multiple 12 V rails (12V1, 12V2, (12V3, 12V4)), in this case don't add up the amperes on them, try to find a picture of a sticker on its side, like this one http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/GameXStream700W/images/sticker.jpg, and see if there's a direct saying about the maximum combined current on the 12 V rails (50 A in the case), or then see how the watts are distributed, here there's 680 W on 3.3, 5, and 12 Volts', 155(~160) of them on the 3.3 and 5 V. This leaves 620 W on the 12 Vs alone, being divided 620W / 12 V = 51.xxx A. ~ 50 A.

It's not that I would recommend against the Corsair, I totally agree that he should get the Corsair, but just giving some useless info. -.-*

crjdriver

No, problem. There are many good brands of psu; and many more of junk ones :)

Yeah. I think one couldn't even count all the crap quality PSUs out there. Those "cheap and reliable" "cheap and good quality" ones. I wonder how dare the web sites advertize them in such manner.

That's totally overkill, plus IMO not as high quality as Corsair... You ordered it already?

Well, get the Sparkle one. It's the best (per-buck-wise) of those. Was just thinking of a situation of free choice. Good luck. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online