1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI HD4850 Card optical drive question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Infused, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Infused

Infused Thread Starter

I'm thinking about buying this video card ATI Radeon HD4850, and under the sytem requirements it says this

CPU Requirements: CD DVD: Requires an optical drive DVD playback, DVD Drive Blu-ray / HD DVD Drive

Does this mean that the optical drive that I have NEEDS to have Blu-ray or HD DVD capabilities?

2. BG-0

BG-0

No, you don't need BR or HDDVD drive. You don't actually even need a CD or DVD drive if you have an internet connection.

3. Infused

Infused Thread Starter

Phew, thats a lot :)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do make sure you have a quality pw supply. While the specs show a 450W psu as the minimum, I generally like to see something like a 550W unit with a min of 40amp on the combined 12V rail. With a psu, watts mean next to nothing. It is the quality of the unit AND the amps on the 12V rail. With just about everything in a modern system being powered by the 12V, having a lot of watts on the 5V or 3.3V is just about useless.

5. Infused

Infused Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip crj, I was always wondering what amperage to pay attention too. With the purchase of the card, I also plan on buying a new powersupply, probably a corsair 550W

6. BG-0

BG-0

That's good, I almost edited my post yesterday to mention about the power supply, but just didn't do it. Notice that if you don't get the Corsair, some PSUs have multiple 12 V rails (12V1, 12V2, (12V3, 12V4)), in this case don't add up the amperes on them, try to find a picture of a sticker on its side, like this one http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/GameXStream700W/images/sticker.jpg, and see if there's a direct saying about the maximum combined current on the 12 V rails (50 A in the case), or then see how the watts are distributed, here there's 680 W on 3.3, 5, and 12 Volts', 155(~160) of them on the 3.3 and 5 V. This leaves 620 W on the 12 Vs alone, being divided 620W / 12 V = 51.xxx A. ~ 50 A.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Corsiars are fine units; you should not have a problem.

8. BG-0

BG-0

It's not that I would recommend against the Corsair, I totally agree that he should get the Corsair, but just giving some useless info. -.-*

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, problem. There are many good brands of psu; and many more of junk ones :)

10. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah. I think one couldn't even count all the crap quality PSUs out there. Those "cheap and reliable" "cheap and good quality" ones. I wonder how dare the web sites advertize them in such manner.

11. Infused

Infused Thread Starter

12. BG-0

BG-0

That's totally overkill, plus IMO not as high quality as Corsair... You ordered it already?

13. Infused

Infused Thread Starter

14. BG-0

BG-0

Well, get the Sparkle one. It's the best (per-buck-wise) of those. Was just thinking of a situation of free choice. Good luck. (y)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice