1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ati Radeon 8500 : screen flickers very often

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrodier, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrodier

mrodier Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently I bought a ATI Radeon 8500 64Mb. Since I installed it, my screen flickers very often and I can only see lines of color. It happens randomly in different programs (Outlook, IE, Netscape, games, etc...).

I have Windows Me with Direct X8.1. DxDiag tells me that Direct3D works fine but when testing DirectDraw, it keeps crashing. I do have the latest video driver, latest BIOS update for my motherboard... I even tried the drivers from rage3d.com, but the same problem occurs... I must say that this is my first AGP video card, so I do not know if it is a hardware problem with the video card, the motherboard (which is not a recent one: Abit BX6 rev.2), a driver problem or something else... Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Sounds like a hardware problem. The only thing I can think of is that check the display settings and make sure the card is in tightly. Other than that, send it back as DOA and get a new one

3. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Your motherboard only was built to support AGP 2X and the card you installed is AGP 4X. I would go into the Bios setup program and see if you have an option to change some setting for the AGP. I dont know what will be available, but do some changes to see if you can find a stable combination.

4. carltasha

carltasha

thats a good guess none of us know much about the 4x agp,

5. mrodier

mrodier Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help... I contacted ATI and then sent me a list of settings to change in the BIOS, but after doing that I still had the same problem. Finally they told me that my card was defective so with the warranty I'll get a new one.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/86761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice