1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI Radeon 9200 series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickelodeon, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickelodeon

nickelodeon Thread Starter

hi,

I was wondering is there any driver updates, tips and tricks or overclocking that I can do to my vidio card?

thanks in advance!

2. junker39

junker39

http://www.omegadrivers.net/
    I've d/l the omega drivers for my 9200. It gives the option for overclocking but I've been putting it off until I get a spare card just in case I overdo it. Good luck and let us know how it works.

3. nickelodeon

ok thanks for that. Let me know how the overclocking works and whether or not my specs can take it. Lol thanks again!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Omega drivers aren't totally alien to the ATI ones. They are just modifications of them.

But they do allow overclocking (if you dare) and another feature that has improved my games quite a bit---synchronization of the card-CPU and card-memory frequencies. It requires overclocking your memory just a tad (which is nowhere near so dangerous as overclocking the CPU), but running both at the same frequency seems to make everything faster.

5. nickelodeon

hey great idea how do i do that and what am i risking if I do do it?

6. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

Dude, do you really need to overclock your card? I mean, I have your system, and I'm on level 6 of Half-Life 2, I've finished FarCry and Doom3 and I run them all on medium with absolutely no lag. So why change?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

The overclocking of the memory is slight---something like 167 to 198. The risk is small with overclocked memory. The memory won't be damaged---if the overclocking has ill effects, you just get corrupted video and you know that you need to turn it down. But that is unlikely with such a small percentage change.

8. nickelodeon

beanmaster Doom 3 doesn't work on my system it lags to the max and I'm hoping that if I overclock my video card a bit then it will fix a few problems with cs to do with the card.

Elvandil where exactly do i go to overclock?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you've installed the Omega driver, right-click your desktop and use the RadLinker link.

10. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

Dude, there is a hack for that. check under the forum games for a thread marked 'will my comp run doom3'. Cheers Man!!

11. nickelodeon

thanks all

12. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

Hey nick, maybe you can help me. I've got the exact same system as you in terms ofmobo, video and ram (2 sticks of DDR 400 256 MB). Anyway, I can't use office 2003 or office xp 2002, it will hang. I think I solved the problem by removing one chip, cause then everything worked smoothly. I contacted MSI, and what they say is their motherboard cannot support more than 1 DDR400 stick (Then they give me a performance readout of all three slots filled with DDR 400 RAM, can you believe it?!).

Anyway, what I would like to know is this:

Are you using MS Office, and if you are, what version?
    How many sticks of RAM are you using (1 or 2)?
    Do you have any weird system problems?

Please keep me posted on this, you'ld really be helping me out. Thanks again!!

13. nickelodeon

Ok I have one stick of DDR 3200 and I am using microsoft office 2000 without any problems. What do you mean by any weird system problems. I know that when I am on cs sometimes a random popup will come up and when I try close it my system resets I think because of how much Ram it is using.

14. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

Thanks for the info. Your popup problem is most likely the program itself, don't worry. What I mean't by weird was like in my case, I can't use word2003 but I can run doom3. Word2003 hangs, doom runs without any problems. Thing is I have two sticks of DDR3200 RAM, each 256 MB. According to VIA, the KT400 chipset has very limited support for DDR3200 RAM, and at most can only support 1 stick. Anyway, I'm checking around to see how many other people are affected by this problem. So far, what I can gather is this problem only affects people using more than 1 stick of DDR3200 RAM. Anyway, I'm just going to change my system and see. Thanks alot for your help again dude!!

15. nickelodeon

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/310758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice