ATI Radeon 9600XT Problems, having for a year and have tried everything in my knowled

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Razore

Hi there, I bought a Radeon 9600XT All-In-Wonder about a year and a half ago. Ever since ive had it, I have always, ALWAYS had problems with it. First off, the specs of my computer are as follows:

Motherboard: SoYo P4-VTE
Processor: Pentium 4, 3.0ghz
Ram: 1024mb(two 512)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600XT All-In-Wonder (128meg)
Sound: Onboard
Drivers: Latest DirectX(9.0c), Latest video drivers(Catalyst Control etc)

I use a dual-monitor setup, two VGA monitors.

So the first problem is, whenever I play full-screen Direct3D(CS:S, BF2), my VPU constantly crashes. At least 6~ times a day, my video completely stops functioning, while I can use everything else, and then comes on about 40~ seconds later with ATI's VPU Recover. In some severe cases, the computer may restart after this happens. Also, sometimes it will freeze completely, or the monitors will both go black with "Out of Range."

I have tried everything to fix this in my knowledge, I still want to fix it before I shell out the cash for a new x800GTO.

I noticed that when I do the Direct3D and DirectDraw diagnostics in my dxdiag, they generally go EXTREMELY slow or freeze when they go into the fullscreen sections. I have tried the diagnostics with the second monitor disabled also, and there was no difference. I turned down Hardware Acceleration to correect DirectDraw problems, and it completed the test for once, but very slowly.

I think that I have set my BIOS correctly, also. My AGP drive is automatic, and the AGP Aperature is running at 256(so I can give the video card the extra help if it needs it).

Now, my second problem is that when I run Battlefield 2, whenever I see an explosion, this happens: http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/7084/problem1if.jpg.

I figured out that, by alt-tabbing when that happens, it fixes the problem and it goes away until I join another game. I have no idea why that happens, but I can live with that, even though I would like it fixed.

Discounting the fact that my VGA-Videocard connector is missing two prongs(I accidentally made them fall out with a screwdriver when trying to bend them back into place) I would like to try to get this fixed, and have replacing the VGA-Videocard connector as a second-to-last resort, because I would have to send away to ATI.

I would please like some help on this, I have posted before, but I never have gotten a response on any forums.

Help me "Tech Support Guy" and crew!

well dual output degrades performance when playing games if you have both enabled. Does your video card have the temps shown and if so wat is it running? and is its fan running if it has one?. Sounds to be like the video card is overheating and crashing.

Razore

There is no reason why it should be overheating, but I thought that was the problem also. There is a fan on it, and right now I have no way to tell how hot it runs. Maybe I should download mobomonitor just to see it. Ill get back to you on that.

Last night in desperation, I ran all of Windows Updates and reinstalled Direct X, hopefully that may do something or at least narrow it down.

-edit- I ran MBM 5, yet my Motherboard is not shown under the list, so I am unable to install it. The Soyo P4VTE does not show up =\

suggest you set all graphics related bios settings to minimums as a test. If the problem goes, you can reset the options one at a time.

I have a AIW 9000 and have used it on 4 different motherboards. I have never been able to use the 'fast write' setting on any without crashes.

Good luck.

D

Razore

I disabled AGP Fast Write, and then it carshed in about 3 seconds. =\ I cannot change all my bios settings to the "minimum" because all AGP related settings dont have a high-medium-low slider.

Sorry. I was reading the wrong post when I wrote the last reply thinking yours was the gforce card.

Nonetheless, did you disable all those options in testing for the cause of the crash?

D

Razore

I set them all back to the defaults, but changing the agp aperature wont really do anything, and changing the agp comp drive is really hard >_< theres like 2600 choices, someone told me to set it to manual and change it to DA, but I have no idea what that will do. Right now im just using automatic. Those are the only two AGP settings in my bios. I tried AGP Fastwrite, and it crashed in about 5 seconds, but with it, it doesnt crash as often.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online