1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ati Radeon 9800 pro --> loose screw???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ricky mason, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ricky mason

ricky mason Thread Starter

i was cleaning the dust off the inside of my comp with compressed air, when i noticed the fan on my ati card was falling off??? one of the pegs that keeps it on was broken, and it was hanging, ever so lightly off the card..maybe by a half a centimeter...ive tested the fan, and its still working....

but anyway...for some strange reason as soon as i plugged the comp back in, i started getting strange pixelation on the computer... blue and green dots all of the screen, blurry spots....

i opened the comp back up and smelled burning...

is this the vid card? is it ruined? do i just need a new fan? any answers would be very much appreciated... im using my friends laptop to respond...

thanks for the quick reply!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you get those spots when you first turn on the machine after it has cooled, chances are the card is toast. The only way to be sure is to be sure you have a way to keep it cool and try it.

If you buy a new one, look for one with a good radiator/heat sink and no fan to break down.

3. squidboy

squidboy

Blue/green pixelation is a tell-tale sign of ATI cards failing in some way (not always hardware related).

The smell of burning is a bad sign. If you smell burning don't use that card anymore. Yank it out for now and try another card or the onboard video (if your MB has it) to make sure the smell goes away.

If it was your card and it's still under warranty, get a replacement pronto. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck and have to buy a new video card. :(

4. ricky mason

ok. thanx for the responses guys. i have a nvidia card laying around that i will test out soon. i havent turned it on since ive smelled something in the case. by the way, do you guys recommend a decently priced fan or anything that i may purchase? just in case it is the fan, otherwise i guess ill buy a new card and replace the stock fan or something.

thanx again everyone. ill keep you guys updated.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you talking about the fan attached to the card, or the case or CPU fans?

If the fan is turning smoothly on the card and it still pixellates, the fan is not the problem. You'll probably be able to see discoloration on the card from the heat.

There are some very good cards that don't require fans---they seem to collect dust and freeze, so I've lost cards before with them.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If the card has a warranty left RMA it. If it doesn't you need to get the heat sink back on it and try it.

You would need to remove the sink the rest of the way and clean GPU and heat sink with alcohol and apply some thermal paste. The broken clip could cause some problems when reinstalling the sink. A small screw and nut would hold it in place but don't over tighten it.

If the card works after you have reinstalled the sink you'd be better off to buy a VGA silencer for it. Here is one on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-113&depa=0

If the card has a warranty, do nothing. Send it back.

7. ricky mason

thanx again everyone for the help. ill try the fan on the GPU again, by reinstalling it with a screw or something. now as for the silencer thing, can i just replace the fan entirely with that product? or must it be installed while having the stock fan on the card still? this tweaking of the card is new to me, so i dont know much about it. thanx

8. ricky mason

Ok. so i got my card back and everything seems to be running fine again. As for the installation of the new fan for the graphics card, is it that hard to do? ive never actually tried to mess with that kind of stuff. please someone give me a response on the difficulty of change the fans on the graphics card

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice