1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI Radeon 9800 XT Graphics Card HOT! (and broken fan)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chulksmack, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chulksmack

chulksmack Thread Starter

Hi I recently received a ATI Radeon 9800 XT Graphics Card from a friend because he no longer needed it. I freshly installed it into my computer and installed that software provided with it. I notice the fan was making alot of noise although it was still running fine, just noisy, like the bearing was bad. I shut down the computer and unplugged power/ cords. When i go to take the graphics card out it is very hot all over the card and at first it was even hard to touch the card. This was after running the card for 4-6 hours. So once it cools down I disassemble the fan and give the bearing a little grease job and clean the dust and debris off the fan etc. I put the back motor piece of the fan back on and then I try to take it off again and the metal peg that is attached to just the fan, breaks and detaches from the fan. Is there a website or store that sells just the replacement fan for this graphics card or an alternative? I also wanted to know why the graphics card is running so hot. Thank you!

2. jamesx121

jamesx121

I would cuss out your friend if he/she didn't tell you it was a defective card
    to begin with.
    its running hot because the heatsink on the video card has quite working.

about fixing it. look at the back of the card and see if you can see any
    heat damage to the circuit board. if so---ITS toast.

if you can find a new heatsink and fan for your video card.
    I wouldn't reliy on the card to last a long time.
    your friend probably ran it for awhile with it making noises,
    so this shortened the life expectancy of the card.

RUNNING 6 HOURS WITH IT SO HOT IT BURN YOUR HAND PROABLY
    DIDN'T DO YOUR MOTHERBOARD ANY GOOD EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

There are plenty of online retailers that sell aftermarket coolers for video cards.
    Just do a search for "VGA Cooler". Might be a little harder finding one for the 9800 since it's a bit old, but they should still be available.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Here's an older Arctic Cooling replacement heatsink and fan for that card: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/disc_prod1.php?type=2 But a few companies make such replacements.

And the card does run hot, even when cooled, and without cooling it will burn up and fry.

Once working you should install a newer set of drivers for the card, possibly even the latest ATI Catalyst drivers from the ATI website as the card's performance has improved since the original drivers that shipped with the card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/710303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice