1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ATI Radeon HD4000 series drivers for Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mazzaroth, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mazzaroth

Mazzaroth Thread Starter

Hello, gentlemen :)

I know it might sound totally ridiculous, but as i faced this issue myself i went to look it up in the web and stumbled on this topic ATI driver support for windows 2000 (which is closed by now, and which is why i brought it up again), and i thought... not even put up my hopes much, just thought.. is it ANY possible to patch ATI Catalyst version that supports Radeon HD4000 series video adapters to get it work on Win2k? :eek:

Is there any way actually to substitute, emulate the drivers or cheat on Win2000 to get at least 85hz, 64-bit colour and 800x600 res using this adapter? 'cause that's the only prob i'm having so far, the rest is ok. And i love Win2000 and i want to use it for x86 based old applications. Not XP (even though its good enough), and only i know why. So that's the reason i want to make it work so bad. By the way, i wanted to contact the initiator of this idea himself directly (crjdriver), but since "there is a problem using PM for first time posters" i wrote in here.

P. S. Dunno if that contributes anything to the story above, but i have onboard integrated HD4200.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'll contact crjdriver and ask him if he still has the file available.

Have you tried the link that he provided?

-------------------------------------------------------

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is not going to work for onboard type video. It only works with a real video card and I was only able to use up to the 8.4 series driver.

To answer your question, yes it can be done however since you need an onboard type driver, the whole app would need to be redone ie patch made to work with a specific driver [your onboard from the motherboard maker]

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I prefer win2k over xp also. In fact I still have one old system that dual boots win98 and win2k. I made this from pulled parts just for running old dos games.

5. Mazzaroth

Mazzaroth Thread Starter

flavalee, Yes, of course. I wouldn't have bothered posting this topic now if i had not tried it. Frankly to say, i didn't literally try it, just got around it, but i quickly realized that it's not gonna work. Thank you for your little assistance btw.

crjdriver, Yes, i know that your app works only with 8.3/4 or so, i read everything carefully when i got onto this forum and i didn't really try to apply that to newer Catalyst versions, 'cause you stated there clearly that it works at best only with 8.3 and earlier. So the question here was is it possible to make another patch. Thank you for your reply though... of course, i'd be glad if you make a new one again, but i'm not asking since you didn't offer it yourself :) I guess i'll just keep to XP and think of it as if it was 2000 *sigh*. Anyways, thank you very much for reply. At least now i know that there are SOME ways.

Once again, dunno if that's any relevant, but i do have a drivers DVD for my motherboard which includes video driver as well. I'm using it now. The version is other than just 10 or 11 (latest packs), there are just some freaky numbers. Here's a screenshot of "About" screen just in case (can't be bothered re-writing that manually):

http://floomby.com/content/DbC1HNkSVE
    [​IMG]

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have other problems besides the driver. There would be no chipset support for that board ie no chipset/mb drivers.

I did the last one simply because I had an ati 3850 video card at the time and wanted it to work. AND ati made me mad that they dropped support for win2k.

Things have been rather busy at work so right now time is at a premium. Things usually slow down in the winter so you might try dropping a PM to me later. If I have time between work, managing rentals. etc I can attempt to write a patch for you.

7. Mazzaroth

Mazzaroth Thread Starter

Thanks a lot man, that would be very appreciated. Actually about that chipset driver... i think i've managed to install some bridge thing.. it didn't mind being installed on win2k. But even so, i guess it's not much important for 2000, let's say, without those drivers and stuff it will be working like P-III maybe, which is ok with me. I've installed win2k on a separate IDE hdd (initially i attempted to install it on partition C: of my SATA hdd, which was almost fatal to the whole partition table, still dunno what was the prob, but ive managed to recover it and don't wanna experiment more), and OS works pretty well except for the annoying low frequency blinking of the monitor, cheesy colours and 640x480 res. So yeah, i considered the chipset/mb drivers at once, but so far it doesn't seem to be no pain in the ***.

Thanks man. I'll drop you a line some day. Btw... we're making a website currently designated for freelance service for translators, web-developers and programmers. I'd like to have you among our future crew, and i'll certainly grant you a VIP status.. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice